Stuck periscopes

fadedsun

I have some very nasty periscopes on the Roland which are yellowing/cracked and not visible through. I have replacement sets, but for the life of me I can't get the broken ones off. I can't find any bolts or screws that hold them in and my best guess is they are press fit in and somehow water/nastyness got in and rusted them completely stuck. Any ideas on how to free them?

bad-per-5.jpg

bad-per4.jpg

bad-periscope1.jpg

bad-periscope2.jpg

bad-periscope3.jpg

Unmolested periscope 

unmolested-periscope2.jpg

unmolested-periscope3.jpg

Looks like they were held in with clamps using the 2 holes on either side. If you’ve got new ones anyway try a pry bar between the scope and the shroud. They won’t be a press fit because they will be replaceable in the field.

3 hours ago, sirhc said:

Looks like they were held in with clamps using the 2 holes on either side. If you’ve got new ones anyway try a pry bar between the scope and the shroud. They won’t be a press fit because they will be replaceable in the field.

I’m guessing the clamps were removed and they’re just held in by corrosion?

On 10/18/2022 at 12:32 AM, fadedsun said:

I’m guessing the clamps were removed and they’re just held in by corrosion?

Agreed - it's a common issue with periscopes on FV430s.  If they're badly stuck you may need to destroy them to get them out.

Andy

Looks like a rubber seal surrounding the insert. Could have gone either hard or sticky. Crowbar between outer cover and top of unit might work?

Then you’ll need new rubber…

Peter

Edited by 7VHU
Can’t spell : )