Merlin cylinder block change on Halifax.

radiomike7

Just going through some of father in law's documents and came across a letter from Leslie White who looked after the engines on father's Halifax at 35 Squadron, Linton. Read the 3rd paragraph down, it claims they changed a cylinder block in about 5 hours including R/R the cowlings.

Scan_20221015.png

Edited by radiomike7
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, utt61 said:

As someone whose profession is educating today's service personnel, I have to admire the extraordinary standard of handwriting displayed in that letter, a proper work of art by today's standards.

Yes, it's amazing what you can do with a printer!  

• Haha 3

On 10/20/2022 at 9:17 AM, 10FM68 said:

Unlikely, it is dated 1981 so most probably a golfball typewriter. Leslie White ran White's Office Equipment in Northampton so would have access to the latest typing aids.

Scan_20221025.png

Edited by radiomike7

9 hours ago, radiomike7 said:

Unlikely, it is dated 1981 so most probably a golfball typewriter. Leslie White ran White's Office Equipment in Northampton so would have access to the latest typing aids.

Scan_20221025.png

I'm sure you're right - well done!  But I'm equally sure everyone else would have understood my point, even if you missed it.

On 10/20/2022 at 9:17 AM, 10FM68 said:

You are of course right, my only excuse is a tiny phone screen at the end of a long day.

Still, if you're going to make a fool of yourself you might as well do it publicly! 😊

• Haha 2

Funny thing, just re read “only owls and bloody fools fly at night”, by Group Captain Tom Sawyer DFC. Apparently the Merlin engined ones, the Mk2, where quite unpopular. The crews were much relieved when the Bristol Hercules powered versions came into service, with much amazement being expressed at the vast increase in power.

3 hours ago, ltwtbarmy said:

Funny thing, just re read “only owls and bloody fools fly at night”, by Group Captain Tom Sawyer DFC. Apparently the Merlin engined ones, the Mk2, where quite unpopular. The crews were much relieved when the Bristol Hercules powered versions came into service, with much amazement being expressed at the vast increase in power.

Mk1 and 2 used Merlins while the mk3 onward used the Hercules which although 11 litres larger was a better fit in the Halifax wing. The sleeve valve arrangement of a Hercules was more tolerant of low octane fuel than a Merlin.