Glazing Windscreen

Looking to draw on others experience here. Wondering if anyone has tried installing glass in windscreen frames themselves?

The double glazing place that did our jeep many years ago, and made a very good job of it, now won’t do them due to a change in the law apparently.

I’ve got to do our Scammell windscreens soon, and would like to do it myself, so wondering if anyone has any tips and tricks. I was thinking along the lines of almost filling the frame with black windscreen sealant and pushing the glass in with something like cardboard wrapped around the edges to keep the glass centralised in the frame. Thoughts and experiences please.

Thanks in advance. Richard 

I glazed both screens on my wot6,   6mm laminated glass from a local glass   Company £90 for 4 pieces of glass cut to shape with 2 having polished edges, I installed them with black roofer gutter sealant, it’s not bad to work with and cleans up with white sprit. 

• Like 1

On 10/2/2022 at 10:23 AM, 67burwood said:

I glazed both screens on my wot6,   6mm laminated glass from a local glass   Company £90 for 4 pieces of glass cut to shape with 2 having polished edges, I installed them with black roofer gutter sealant, it’s not bad to work with and cleans up with white sprit. 

I'm just wondering how to fill the sides of the frame with sealant. Any sealant i put in there to begin with will be more or less pushed out as the glass is slid in. The frame section at the bottom (or top in this case) will be fine - fill it with sealant and the glass will squidge into it nicely.

I just put in a modest amount to avoid wastage.  You need to check the inside of the frame and remove any metal edges, points, or protruding welds, as you want the glass to sit in the sealant and not against metal.  Small packers of plastic or rubber may be needed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scammell4199 said:

I'm just wondering how to fill the sides of the frame with sealant. Any sealant i put in there to begin with will be more or less pushed out as the glass is slid in. The frame section at the bottom (or top in this case) will be fine - fill it with sealant and the glass will squidge into it nicely.

There is a bit of wastage, you can pre fit the glass so you can mask the edges and then remove, put a generous amount of sealant in the base and side channels, slide the glass in as central as possible, when pushed into position use a filling trowel/knife and force the sealant into the sides, get the sealant gun and push the nozzle into the top corners and gently force sealant in, cleaning up takes the most amount of time. 

• Like 1