Semi-Fluid Grease

A lot of people now seem to be using Grease in the bevel Box's and hubs of Daimler dingo's and presumably Ferrets as well.   Many seem to be using the 'Britpart One Shot Swivel Grease' which has replaced oil in the hubs of Land Rovers.   Some pruducts to be semi-fluid and presumably self leveling so levels van be checked and other extreme pressure greases seem not to be.   If I was to use a grease I would want to use the former as presumably without totally filling the casing with grease it coud be thrown out on to the walls of the box.

I was informed this particular product of which there are others is the equivilant of the Britpart product and if it is not fluid enough it could be thined with SAE 140.   Does anyone having any experience of using similar products and how easy it is to get into casings with small filler holes.     https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/174115896016?epid=1207925725&hash=item288a1dbad0:g:95oAAOSwIpZgp5zU&amdata=enc%3AAQAHAAABAP0nUDMv3jk6Ne27UZ%2FXknEOWDCIYwLkDSdxQbyYPQiVY9Y27ZJ%2FJWtNFzKbJyd72lb4%2FEt52DdYpob9uzRnv4C%2FDXXaX6hwpZl5g6rNwsLGUZ88KTsdeWMr%2BRNu26VCj44k%2B2KvbO3owrlQp4DphAj1LuSdzRG1gJoQKBcJnVeN%2FGs7bXDlxOcO6XEIQQTSDqB1YmmibRQl59ffv1SsiR%2B5KY99qjAYib1x9pNjA9qcznFGmRIGDCwyWCplL67ZPxGn9DhNDbxv49QLZXLC3LEEyzNiWVHetGGXe8WgX%2F8huMVuBKPXkb9Y7EvPY0u5QapXxs9K0EdB7OEiGxxFz8g%3D|tkp%3ABFBMrKzLj-5g

I've used it in Landrover swivel hubs and it can be a right bu**er to get it in. You need to be able to let the displaced air escape. On a LR I take out one of the steering arm bolts or upper swivel bearing bolts, whichever age LR you have. Then it goes in easily enough. Warming it can help.

At the request of a ferret owner l put L R one shot in the hubs and bevel boxes l have to admit l was not to sure. After a while it came in because a bad leak from the inner hub  when it was stripped out which is a really mess to do very little had gone in  to the  the inner bevel despite  all levels been checked when filled with the  one shot several times to allow for it to find its own level as with oil l am still not convinced that for the inner it is a good idea

22 minutes ago, wally dugan said:

At the request of a ferret owner l put L R one shot in the hubs and bevel boxes l have to admit l was not to sure. After a while it came in because a bad leak from the inner hub  when it was stripped out which is a really mess to do very little had gone in  to the  the inner bevel despite  all levels been checked when filled with the  one shot several times to allow for it to find its own level as with oil l am still not convinced that for the inner it is a good idea

Hi Wally,

I am with you on this, my view is that this was an idea for Land Rover swivels, and it is not compatible with Daimler Dingo, Armoured Car or Ferret, due to its inability to flow to the required areas. Having had many years experience working on both Ferrets and Dingos (and all other MV's) and understanding the workings of them, there is a high risk of damage due to lack of lubrication on all moving parts. I was asked about final drives over heating on a Daimler armoured car and asked what the oil level was like in the bevel boxes, when checked it was found that they had grease in them. I then asked where the heat was and it was pointed out to the section of drive line between the two tracta joints, the shafts in this section run in bronze bushes so very likely they were not getting the lubrication and possibly the inner tracta was not getting any either.

With Dingos, the lubricant in the outer tracta also feed in to the wheel bearings and it is unlikely that this "L/R" grease will flow in to that area.

If owners are concerned about leaks then it is time to renew the seals and check condition of the tracta challis's for scoring or pitting.

For Dingos and Daimler armoured cars, the recommended oil for the final drives is SAE 140 gear oil    (NOT EP 140)

• Like 1

If it specifies oil, I would use oil. I have lost count of MB/GPW steering boxes, all suffering from the same problem of having grease put in instead of oil. Grease just cannot do the job of keeping the bushes lubricated, it’s too thick.

Whenever one of these vehicles comes into the workshop, the first thing I do is pop the bonnet open and if I see a grease nipple then the bronze bushes and sector arms are usually knackered, unless the substitution is recent, in which case, I still have to remove the steering box, open up, and remove all the grease to save the box.

Edited by ltwtbarmy