Airfix 1/35th Scale Austin K2/Y Ambulance

KevinT

Other than the glaring errors such as the tyres, census number and all the missing internal bits generally it was a nice kit to build. The decals, other than the issue with the census number, were really smooth with more or less no edge to them. I am not sure about the style of red cross markings on the rear doors but have gone with the instruction suggestions. It does not have the finesse of the Gecko kit and could be improved up on.

Cheers

Kevin

IMG_2075.JPG

IMG_2076 (2).JPG

IMG_2077 (2).JPG

IMG_2078 (2).JPG

IMG_2080 (2).JPG

IMG_2081.JPG

hi 

looks a good kit,I did comment on the Airfix site about the many errors,

with the kit, mainly on the grounds that Austin K2y ambulances can be Identified by year,as the vehicle had lots of changes over the wartime period,

and the kit was more represenative of a wartime rebuilt vehicle or post war rebuild, 

As for the surgested  desert paint scheme that was way out.

Red cross's on the rear doors appear after c1942(not painted on in the factory) from single red cross to duel red cross's on D-Day (about) lots of variation in size and shape,

its best to find a wartime picture and keep with that, as local units did thier own thing.

30 corps picture,

1545866239_30corps1.jpg.046602d6ead5e8a3ae4575d723e789c4.jpg

regs

Rupert

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rupert,

Despite the various issues with the kit, with a little TLC it is a nice model to build. Some of the issues I pointed out apparently were not wrong on Airfix's part, namely not having mattresses on the lower "bunk" they were only on the top "bunk". The two I made from styrene sheet were not glued down so can fortunately be removed.

As to models I make I do try to find good WWII photos to base to subject on.

Cheers

Kevin