Bedford cab Jig/stand

Bodger Baz

Well i'm about ready to take the cab of my Bedford OXC, i want to build a jig/stand to sit the cab on whilst its off the chassis for three reasons

1, to hold it together!

2, to enable the welding/woodwork to be sorted without twisting the cab.

3, so i can move it around the barn without the use of a forklift or several mates.

Has anybody else built a similar jig/stand for a OY,OX, MW cab or have any dimensions to give me a head start?

Cheers

Baz

1, to hold it together!

2, to enable the welding/woodwork to be sorted without twisting the cab.

3, so i can move it around the barn without the use of a forklift or several mates.

Baz,

Not used a jig for a Bedford cab, but just done some structural work on a Fordson cab, it did not require removing from the chassis in this case, but I would strongly advise that if it is severely corroded in the lower area, to build a space frame of sorts, within the cab, before removing it, bolting it to existing points of good strength, in order to preserve its integrity. Once removed, it can soon distort then when you cut out the rot and weld new metal in, it may not align again, doors may not fit, etc. If this framework were done right, it may be possible to rotate the cab, as on a spit, with the axis right through the middle of the cab, side to side. This way you will be able to weld at a convenient position.

Just some quick thoughts.........

Richard

Baz,

Not used a jig for a Bedford cab, but just done some structural work on a Fordson cab, it did not require removing from the chassis in this case, but I would strongly advise that if it is severely corroded in the lower area, to build a space frame of sorts, within the cab, before removing it, bolting it to existing points of good strength, in order to preserve its integrity. Once removed, it can soon distort then when you cut out the rot and weld new metal in, it may not align again, doors may not fit, etc. If this framework were done right, it may be possible to rotate the cab, as on a spit, with the axis right through the middle of the cab, side to side. This way you will be able to weld at a convenient position.

Just some quick thoughts.........

Richard

yep see what your saying, i like the idea of a spit :naughty:,

I was going to brace the cab in all directions before cutting about the rot, i will build a sturdy frame to bolt the cab to using the three cab mounts then weld/bolt some bracing in place. fingers crossed it will all fit back together again

Baz

yep see what your saying, i like the idea of a spit :naughty:,

I was going to brace the cab in all directions before cutting about the rot, i will build a sturdy frame to bolt the cab to using the three cab mounts then weld/bolt some bracing in place. fingers crossed it will all fit back together again

Baz

Good Luck, matey........ :-)