Motorcycle Data Plates/Tags

gary0003

Do you mean contract plates?? and if so, for which contract? every plate was different, and most had the contracts etched in with the rest of the data, so it's not a case of stamping them, there are some exceptions though.

Also there were brass and steel versions, I have had both types made in the past, still working to have the steel ones engraved or etched.

Cheers,

Lex

IMG_2879.jpg

The contract number is for the whole batch of vehicles under that contract which can be for thousands of vehicles/motorcycles.

The census number is the number allocated to each vehicle.......It's registration number in fact.

Ron

Edited by Ron

Yes, like Ron says! best is to buy the book "British Forces Motorcycles" all contracts for all makes are in there, well almost all of them.

For some makes I have a database to calculate the C number on the tank, and sometimes it can be done from the book.

About what make are we talking about? if you send me your framenumber, I can have a look.

Cheers,

Lex

550x820.jpg

Ok, forgot the pictures, nobody (except sometimes me) makes the dataplates with the contract info etched in them, blank ones can be found on Ebay sometimes, but quality and sizing is usually way off. The thing is, the contract data was etched in them, together with the rest, no number stamps were used (well there are exceptions ofcourse) here the pictures, courtesy of Jan from Belgium.

Cheers,

Lex

RE WD COa.png

RE WD-CO C12425b.JPG

Edited by welbike
additional info

Only one per bike, but don't have any, certainly not for that contract, am concentrating on the James ML steel plates at the moment, otherwise uncle Ron will get very cross. Maybe coming winter I''ll do some brass plates again.

Cheers,

Lex