James ML Frame No

ramerry

Bit of a bother over a James ML frame No. I have a feeling it could be a bodgy one. The No. is ML12031 & he is claiming it to be a 1945 Machine. Information I have is last WD ones went to ML8500 although there was possibly 200 went to the Admiralty  but no paper work known. Civilian ML Models  were 1946 ML's started at ML12841, 1947 started at ML19881 & 1948  started at 26921. Would any body have any idea on this please.

Sounds postwar to me, does it have a "works" number? wartime ones had this on the rear engine lug, see picture.

There are more ways to check, does it have folding footrests? what centre stand is fitted?, rear brake plate rounded or squarish? does it have the special headlamp?

Any pictures?

Lex

IMG_6867 - kopie.jpg

12031 is over 2000 after the initial 3000 ordered under the last contract, but still before the 1946 civy production. I image lots were made in readiness for continued contracts by the WO but were then re used for the civy market during 1945. Another of the stand out amendments for civy use was the handlebar clamps and possibly a speedo. Ron

030.jpg.75b501a1756702b7f15a8e2ccce39932.jpg

1945-james-ml-760x570.jpg

Edited by Ron
  • Like 1

Thanks for all the replies, the bloke who has the bike has gone very quiet since i asked him where the engine No. was stamped whether it was on the gear box cover or on the engine casing so i would say that he has been passing a civvy of as a WD model which does not bother me as long as they say it is a copy & not a genuine WD model.