25-pdr field gun on Carriage Mk II

Took some pictures of a 25-pdr on Carriage Mk II recently (still on strength with the Netherlands Army, albeit as a gate guard!)

Who has more information about this particular model of 25-pdr gun?

All I know is the 25-pdr gun on Carriage Mk II had a narrowed axle, shield and firing platform. One source states this was done to enable the gun to be towed by a light vehicle ("probably LWB Land Rover"), another source states this conversion was carried out for jungle and airborne operations.

What was the exact purpose of this conversion? When was it carried out?

Thanks!

Hanno

P1000878-resized.JPG

P1000882-resized.JPG

P1000893-resized.JPG

P1000894-resized.JPG

More and larger pictures in my G503 album.

Edited by Marmite!!

That reminds me, i was approached by an old boy who was on 25 pdrs in Korea. While firing a barrage the round blew up in the barrel of his 25pdr blowing the gun to bits. None of the crew were hurt which was a bit miraculous. The RSM took the crew off another 25pdr and made the ones who's gun had just blown up carry on using that one instead. Psychology i suppose. He showed me all the photos. It was amazing that none of them were killed.

Tim (too)

Here is a photo of the Jungle 25pdr from The Rotunda, outside my workshop after restoration. It is the one now on display at the Firepower museum.

Hanno was asking of its purpose, well in hill country, as in the Far East, more elevation is required, so the trail breaks its back to enable this, the narrow track for obvious reasons. I think in heavy going, a jeep would struggle because of the weight imposed on the tow hook. This example has a normal width shield fitted, and it had been on display like this for years previously.

Richard