More AJAX problems , they should have tried Vim

ruxy

On 9/12/2021 at 1:31 PM, andym said:

Certainly not quick as a Flash! I note that they are now testing at Milbrook rather than Hurn or Longcross.

Andy

Longcross was closed down sold off years ago, its now a film studio/industrial park, & housing development,   Hurn is/was a driver training site

Edited by Nick Johns

15 hours ago, andym said:

Some more in-depth analysis here.  It sounds a right shambles, do they really not even use jigs for equipment mounting holes?

https://rusi.org/explore-our-research/publications/commentary/british-armys-greek-tragedy

Andy

That was an interesting read from RUSI. There was more to this problem than what the news headlines mention. I might add 'as always'....

11 hours ago, Nick Johns said:

Longcross was closed down sold off years ago, its now a film studio/industrial park, & housing development,   Hurn is/was a driver training site

Chertsey is a film studio (although known as Longcross), the test track is on the other side of the M3.  Hurn used to lease a portion of the site for commercial driver training a while back, but it was discontinued due to health and safety concerns.  It's always been a vehicle test and evaluation site, in fact it was where I first saw Ajax running around!  It closed recently and I wondered if the testing might have moved to Longcross but apparently it's gone to Milbrook.

Andy

You couldn't make it up  !

80 years the nutter Geoffrey Pyke  of the 'Pyke's Uphill Rivers' project and  Habbakuk project ,  a  2.2 million tons displacement aircraft carrier (x50 the displacement of a battleship)  - made from frozen Pykrete (sort of a frozen woodchip) - a prototype was built in Canada.   Pyke's  fast armoured snow vehicle for northern Norway  - apparently led to the   M-25  Weasel.     Pyke for his efforts was paid just over £30 per week, that during WW2 was absolutely  ££  top $  for a unknown deep thinker (but he was a crony of Churchill's cronies) ,  put it all down to inflation and out of 10 + totally barmpot idea - you might just get something that both works and is serviceable under the battle conditions it was intended for,  there again AJAX could just be  lots of  £££££  funny money for the few.

• 3 months later...

From Jeremy Quin's recent statement to Parliament:

"It remains impossible to share with this House 100% confidence that this programme will succeed or, if it does, the timing of achieving Full Operating Capability."

Hardly encouraging!

Andy

• 1 year later...

I see Ajax is on the go again. They seem to have spent the time trying to mitigate the effects of the problem rather than solve the root cause. Issuing 2 types of ear defenders will help but if that is what is needed! So our modern army ends up having to use and make work on overweight outdated designed vehicle, let us hope the equipment that it is fitted with comes up to scratch. We are not the only ones with problems, the American army replacement for the Bradley is having problems with stability.