Bedford mw history help

Neilmwd

On 9/1/2021 at 8:21 PM, Minesweeper said:

Perhaps off topic for which I apologise! I did my Army Driving Test in an Bedford MW 15cwt in 1959 - 13RE80 and fond memories go with it. I often wonder what happened to it and I wonder if either - or both of you -Wally and Richard - have any record of it?

Hi

13RE80 , Chassis number 58996 built under contract S3512 (delivered appx Aug 1944, cost per vehicle was £273 and 13s shillings) .  Ended up at the intelligence centre prior to being sold at Ruddington on 12th June 1961. I don’t know if it still exists.

Don't suppose you have any photos of 13RE80 or any other MW's ?

and did you have to use a Static Trainer

IMG_7375.thumb.JPG.7a7b85a2f3e4abf3600c1611284cd844.JPG

or a makeshift rolling road

IMG_7376.thumb.JPG.3a5013cb028ee0f266289fb2791da7eb.JPG

before the let you out on the road ?

Cheers

Richard

That all adds up! At that time - something new - five new Intelligece Platoons were formed up at Maresfield to be part of Strategic Reserve in 1959 - one for each of the 4 Brigades Groups within 3 Infantry Division and the other to be attached to Div HQ. Each Platoon was to be entirely self supporting and independent with their own Int Corps vehicles and drivers, administration and so on. My unit was 3 Platoon to be attached to 2 Infantry Brigade group with Brigade HQ at Crownhill Fort in Plymouth. Drivers were Int Corps personnel all who could already drive but each driver did a 2 weeks MT course for assessment and to be passed by the army. The platoon consisted of about 10 - 2 officers, 2, senior N C O's and other Int Corps  O.R.'s, plus two Draughtsmen from other units. The two MW's were there purely for that assessment purpose. Unit vehicles were two Land Rovers and an Austin K9 with three Sankey 1/2 ton trailers.

The whole idea was shortlived and the Brigade was disbanded towards the end of 1960. The Int Corps men were posted to other units but the two Draughtsmen - both National Sevicemen - one from the R.A. and the other from the Devon and Dorsets were both demobbed immediately without having to complete their full term of National Sevice!

Edited by Minesweeper
"Reserve" - not "Command"
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 9/2/2021 at 3:43 PM, Minesweeper said:

It was a cab with a canvas roof and full windscreen. We had two of these - I can not remember the number of the second one other than the letters of the number were YR. I did not come across any others in service.

They were fun!

Tony

Photos from my collection. Bedford MW with RE and YR reg.

If it was my Bedford i would keep it as is, it looks great.

bedford mw 14 RE 66 and 36 RE 87 germany.jpg

bedford mw 20 YR 62 germany.jpg

Edited by Morris C8
  • Like 1

Hi

Contract V3904 was for 3000 vehicles and was originally allocated bonnet numbers of Z4510002 to Z4513002, with first deliveries 27th Feb 1941.

This is a very messy contract as many of them were allocated to the RASC with the following bonnet numbers Z575407 to Z575786 (380 trucks); Z575791 to Z576079 (289 trucks); Z576230 to Z576579 (350 trucks); Z576680 to Z576779 (100 trucks); Z771578 to Z771628 (51 trucks) also many were built as vans (MWV) and were allocated bonnet numbers V770401 to V77810 (410 Vans). To add to the confusion, many of the RASC allocated bonnet numbers overlap with bonnet numbers allocated to other contracts. In addition the contract may have been extended to at least 4179 vehicles, also there is another Bedford MW contract (V3964) which is equally as messy and I think that there was also some confusion over which contract was which. I have never been able to tally up the numbers, so if anyone has any information on these or any other Bedford MW contracts I would be most grateful.

It is unlikely that yours was originally an MWV as all the MWV’s from Contract V3904 as the information I have on their chassis number is that they are all under 22000.

Yours could either be an RASC vehicle or a "general vehicle" and I have no of determining which one it is so I cannot give you a good estimate of the original bonnet number

If I were you I would stick with bonnet number Z1661333 which is on the key card  

Cheers

Richard

• Like 1

• 2 months later...