Ferret 01CA81 tactical markings and history questions

01CA81

Hello everyone,

I recently acquired 01CA81, a Mk2/3 Ferret. It was sold by Khaki Corps and left outside rather neglected by the PO. It has some late modifications such as the night vision capable driver’s hatch and alternator instead of the 2 speed generator. I am going to repaint it tan/green in its Aden color scheme but had questions regarding tactical markings etc.

From the vehicle card I got from Bovington tank museum it saw service with the 14/20 King’s Hussars, 5th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards and 4th Royal Tank Regiment, all part of the BAOR. Unfortunately the card doesn’t have the info of its service prior to 1969, as I found a picture of it in service in 1967.

Questions -

If I was to use the tactical markings of the Aden vehicles, what would those be and where would they be located? I have studied pictures but there doesn’t seem to be any standardization. 

Did I miss anything on the history card that stands out to you?

Thanks for looking!

Current state after getting it home

BFDA1-C93-71-A1-476-E-AF2-C-2986-FF2-CFD

I believe this is Crater, Aden. I’m not sure if anyone can figure out the unit but maybe someone can.

3-AE7-E41-E-85-E7-4533-A647-2-B540-DC713

Vehicle history card from Bovington tank museum

669-BDDE0-252-C-43-C1-BF08-22-C6-C8432-A
741-A90-FC-3-C26-4-DAA-BAE4-663-E39-B4-A

3-C6-F1154-3-A1-B-46-F5-BE0-D-BB23-DD1-E

Engine record card pulled from the little canister by the thermostat housing

14-CA0-ABD-9-A76-4-BD2-A9-C5-95-D9-C474-

That is a nice Ferret!

I have a service book about living and serving in Aden written for british solders and their families. Quite a challanging posting in the 1950/60's

I dont know about pre 1969 but it has certainly travelled around a bit since 1969

Various locations around BAOR

Vehicle Depot Luggershall UK

1978 British Army Training Area Suffield (BATUS) Canada

Returned to Luggershall

1983 Vehicle depot Cyprus

1984 Western Sovereign Base Area  W(SBA), Akrotiri  Cyprus

Returned to Luggershall

and sold to Joe Hunts & Sons I guess from VD Luggershall.

B series

Thank you for the responses all! This certainly is a well travelled vehicle. I’m a collector of veteran bring back firearms so I enjoy digging deep in individual history. 

I’ve done quite a bit of servicing/rebuilding so far and it’s running excellent. Can’t drive it yet as the brakes and interior tin work are apart. Then the cosmetics.

I was told this is a late night vision driver’s hatch. The big question is what system/periscope would have been fitted to this? 

330981F1-19DF-4ED1-8F62-387A195296D5.jpeg

4FD03B1E-3AA4-4FDF-8930-84EC1BEB7289.jpeg

A nice relief indicating the bands are in good shape 

0B061ABA-40FC-42F5-B6C6-FA1F115EF97C.jpeg

It also has the driver’s leg armor in place. All the pictures I’ve seen have this removed. Would be quite a job as the top part is welded to the hull. Makes access to the brakes and such a bit tricky. 

D3A79A8D-18F4-4414-89F3-C2F440688154.jpeg

Edited by 01CA81

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/25/2021 at 3:19 PM, 01CA81 said:

I was told this is a late night vision driver’s hatch. The big question is what system/periscope would have been fitted to this? 

It also has the driver’s leg armor in place. All the pictures I’ve seen have this removed. Would be quite a job as the top part is welded to the hull. Makes access to the brakes and such a bit tricky. 

for ordinary use (daytime etc) the standard No17 periscope would be used as the night sight is only supposed to be used in daylight in an "emergency" 

the actual nightsight is: Periscope AVII  L7A1

for training purposes only during daylight a special filter (the thing painted yellow) is fitted to the objective lens

the drivers "leg armour" indicates your Ferret has received the mines counter measures upgrade. If your intention is to revert to Aden spec it should really be removed... along with the other work associated with that M suffix on your vehicle mark. (extra fire extinguishers for example).

Kevin Brown is the expert on Aden ferrets and would be best place for advice if you want to be historically accurate.

An expensive proposition as the most visible features would be:

a) fit a complete Larkspur radio and intercom system as you have the fittings for Clansman - external visuals therefore would include replacing the antenna bases and reverting the B set antenna bracket to being the old, unarmoured, version.

b) as you already hint at, that would also include reverting the drivers hatch to the original, non night sight version as of course that came much later.

It would be a bit more than a paint job and a few decals !

Night Vision (5).JPG

Edited by john fox
  • Like 2