35AY89 ?

Hair Bear

Question

16 answers to this question

Actually it is 35 AY 86, not that it helps as it doesn't appear on MERLIN.

2108935931_35AY86.jpg.126b7e1bf1be2e63dc9a2bf7bedbbec0.jpg

There is a box that they spot before they get to the aircraft, although the NSN is partially obscured the NSC 1410 is for a guided missile.

Ah, sorry about that. Now then, many years ago I was told, rightly or wrongly, that flag poles on an RAF base had to have been issued with a building number otherwise they couldn't account for the upkeep/painting of said pole. Would this be the reason for the machine being issued a number so it would appear correctly in records?

It's easily done, I am dyslexic & my 9s & 6s get interchanged easily, so I had to think hard about this one.

I think giving the item an ERM (Equipment Registration Mark) is a way of tracking & keeping tabs on an RAF "Asset"

I think it had been an Army Asset it would have had something in the **BT** series that contains all sorts of interesting things.

My excuse is just having had an op on one eye it's like looking though 5 sheets of tracing paper at a water filled kaleidascope, so both eyes together is a little 'trippy'!

I dimly recall all RAF forklifts were AY. Looking at the state of the plate I did wonder if it had been peeled off something else - the Bedford maybe.

It's all fake - the 'runway' is supposed to look like such from the air.  They invested lots of $£ to make it look like real eastern block / USSR.   The aircraft paint is not standing up to the weather - it's the land that time forgot.   Still proper business going on there but uncertain exactly what.

Thanks, I did wonder but I wasn't aware that Spadeadam was disused. Went there a couple of times in the early 90's but the only thing that stands out in my memory is after driving what seemed many miles into the wilderness and suddenly finding a signpost to Moscow, then later overnighting in New York. Not a bad trick in a diesel Transit!

5 minutes ago, radiomike7 said:

If I remember correctly Siddle Cook were involved with the transport of giant gas deflectors for a rocket project many years ago at Spadeadam.

Yes,  Siddle C. Cook  of Consett probably would be involved ,  Elddis Caravans was his other business  (Siddle  - backwards).

That helicopter probably was the one stored for a short while in the Tyne valley (nearer Brampton) and it would be flown in on final flight approx.  6/7 years ago.