Pinzgauer Vector 718 UK MoT & Registration Parameters

I would assume it's over 3.5t? Will it be for private use only? Would be registered as a private heavy goods if it is and would need a HGV test each year. Unless you convert to a camper then it's just a car test but I've heard that registering as a camper can be difficult these days. 

• 4 months later...

Should be the same as my Foden, fill in the following online and submit online

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/hgv-first-test-application-form-vtg1

You will need to insure on the chassis number too.

You will receive an email telling you you can now book for a test. I took my Foden on trade plates as although you can go to an mot without tax I'm not sure how you stand with no number plates. 

Once you have your mot down load, print and fill out form V55/5 to register and tax it. You will need your military release doc, insurance, mot, copy of driving licence, cheque for admin and tax at the minimum. They may ask for more. If you have a hand book or manual will help for all the dimensions, weights should be on the vehicle vin plate. 

Otherwise you could call sv tech and they can probably do the paperwork for you for a price. They have just down rated a Pinzgauer for one of my customers to enable it to go for a class 7mot, same as a transit, which is much simpler than a hgv test.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

Thanks to everybody that replied

The things I am really trying to figure out is (as per the OP of the thread MatchFuzee)

• What is the vehicle type on the V55 (which also relates to the type of test) so is it PHGV or is it "Special Vehicle" or something else (like Motorhome but it wont be that)
  • What MoT do I need
  • What do I do to get it to/from the test centre (no plates / trade plates/recovery)

Its easily over 3.5T (something like 5T unladen) so its not going to "sneak in"

D

49 minutes ago, downforce said:

Thanks to everybody that replied

The things I am really trying to figure out is (as per the OP of the thread MatchFuzee)

• What is the vehicle type on the V55 (which also relates to the type of test) so is it PHGV or is it "Special Vehicle" or something else (like Motorhome but it wont be that)
  • What MoT do I need
  • What do I do to get it to/from the test centre (no plates / trade plates/recovery)

Its easily over 3.5T (something like 5T unladen) so its not going to "sneak in"

D

If a standard body, box, drop side, flat bed etc then private heavy goods vehicle is most likely. Assuming you are not using it for business? I have seen them as special vehicles and farm vehicles but these catagories usually restrict use and they are much stricter on these than in the past. Mot will be 3 axle hgv. You will need to Google your nearest hgv testing station which will be at a hgv garage now as the DVSA testing stations are gone now. Try asking anyone with a lorry where they take theirs. There is also a list on the DVSA as well. 

As for getting there i'm not certain, maybe call or email DVSA and enquire?

• 5 months later...

Not Yet - To be honest I have been way too busy and I dont have a big enought garage to work on the Pinz when its been raining, snowing and minus degrees which seems to coincide with when I do have any time.

Dale did the engine etc but I just need to do the finessing and check all the lights/horn work etc.

As far as I know theres only a very few that are road registered at the moment and from my perspective having done a bit a research I am tempted to appy for the "special vehicle" category as a number of Mowag Bucher Duros have been registered as Specials.

D

Edited by downforce

Thanks D

I will try to get mine through as HGV (not sure if there are different hoops to jump through for private HGV). I dont want any hassle of having any restrictions due to it being classed as a "special vehicle". Will send off the VGT1 when I can work out some bits on the form....maybe its all less daunting than it seems 🙂

Cheers

Mick

9 hours ago, MiketheBike said:

Thanks D

I will try to get mine through as HGV (not sure if there are different hoops to jump through for private HGV). I dont want any hassle of having any restrictions due to it being classed as a "special vehicle". Will send off the VGT1 when I can work out some bits on the form....maybe its all less daunting than it seems 🙂

Cheers

Mick

Should be straight forward as a private HGV. The VTG1 was the easy bit, the DVSA emailed back promptly and communication was good. How old is your vehicle? There are many rules for HGV's that are age depedant. You will need tyres that are under ten years old on the front axle for instance. As an off road vehicle this will exempt some rules also. Generally most of the modern military vehicles comply with most of the civilian rules.....possibly with the exception of reflective tape everywhere 🤣.

When you get to the MOT most of the testers will be more than happy to see something different and will help you get the right result. Before test go to the garage and get a voluntary brake test, smoke test and check the headlight adjustment. Retest's aren't free for HGV's. Whilst there ask if there is anything obvious that will fail test, we mechanic types can't help having a look on the grounds you might give us the work. Clean it thoroughly underneath and inside. An unloved vehicle will get poked and prodded twice as much. Check all the obvious things lights, tyres etc. Be courteous and polite, tell the tester if you have not been for a HGV test before. You will be staying in the vehicle throughout most of the test turning lights on and off, turning the steering, operating the brakes as the tester requests. You can usually pay the garage to put it through if you prefer. After the first test you will wonder what all the fuss was about!

Then you have the fun part to get a registration number from the DVLA......

• 2 weeks later...

When I registered my Land Rover I had it insured on the chassis number before it was registered and was legally able to drive to a pre-booked MOT without registration plates. Once I had the MoT I then was able to get a registration plate.

Only time I have legally driven a car without a number plate!