Mil Web

Sloppy Link

The owner, Tony Lawrence is of course very well known in MV circles and has been MC at many events such as The War & Peace Show and Combined 'Ops.  So it hardly likely to be anything other than a genuine sale although if you want a totally pukka 16H, then thats up to your judgement.  I am sure Tony would give you an honest opinion of what he knows.

Well that one may be a reasonable bet, but really you need to ask someone who knows the 16H and best to get the engine and frame numbers as well.  Ron Pier who comes on here would be a better person to ask.  Post the query on the Motorcycles section in the Vehicles part of this site and ask him.......or someone to give you a heads up on the photos at least.  Title it "Plea for help - Norton 16H" .  That will get them looking!  The link to the bike is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Norton-16h-WD-1939/184735649226?hash=item2b031a4dca:g:Ab0AAOSw7H9gY4Ih

I already saw the post Ferg. My initial reaction which I was reluctant to post was,   "Top money for a very shabby bike with quite a few wrong parts".  I see it as a restoration project which could easily cost another couple of Grand........And a hunt for all the correct period/WD parts.......Unless you like it as it is? 

My thoughts are that once a 'For Sale' bike reaches a certain value, everyone else thinks theirs must be worth that amount....Regardless of condition.....Can't blame anyone for trying of course.   Ron

Thanks. I’m looking for a green one to be honest, the prospect of stripping down and resprsy didn’t fill me with glee. I’m a ridist, not a purist. Really cross at missing Tony’s, one will come along. I want to get into LHG/re-enactments when this madness is over. 

Yes, really needs a restoration, the hinge in the rear mudguard is also not original, but as a plus, looks like a Norton Big 4 saddle on it, that I would be very interested in! 

Toolbox is the very nice early one, I wonder what the framenumber on it is?

Cheers,

Lex

Edited by welbike
additional info

Going by the seller's blurb, It looks like the bike has had a new frame and possibly new crankcases. To explain my thoughts, according to the MoS Rebuild plate that the seller quotes, the 'chassis' number is 31BW/24 and the plate shows it had a Class 1 rebuild in May 1957 and followed by 'ASH'. All this info points to it having be overhauled at 31 Base Workshops REME at Ashford Middlesex. This workshop was under threat of closure shortly after that date, think maybe it closed in 1958. So not a fully genuine unissued bike. But it looks very good and has many details as my own one.

Also note that someone has grafted on a Butler blackout on to the original headlamp rim.

Well, I cannot possibly read the rebuild plate, but I will see what the ERM number was according to the frame number.

Oops, the ERM number is in the description, will have a look.

Lex

Edited by welbike
additional info

Something else worthy of note was that 31 Base Wksp was the only army workshop rebuilding unarmoured vehicles at that time (1957) as all other work was done by contractors for Min of Supply. This indicates they may well have been building up vehicle/motorcycles from old parts and new stores to keep them busy due to the threat of closure, so a new frame and possibly engine is not unknown. I have seen this sort of thing before on other vehicles.

Ok, the frame number is indeed listed as that in the Key Cards, it had C456435 as the C number, and the last users were the 1st Foresters, it was struck off at 26-06-1963

So if it were rebuilt, between 1944 and 1948 it would have had another C number, one that started with 14. so I personally think, the guy who wrote up the info for the Key Cards, noted down some casting number? Spare frames, came without any number.....  Wasn't ASH, Ashchurch? just going from memory here, so could be wrong.

Cheers,

Lex

18 minutes ago, welbike said:

Ok, the frame number is indeed listed as that in the Key Cards, it had C456435 as the C number, and the last users were the 1st Foresters, it was struck off at 26-06-1963

So if it were rebuilt, between 1944 and 1948 it would have had another C number, one that started with 14. so I personally think, the guy who wrote up the info for the Key Cards, noted down some casting number? Spare frames, came without any number.....  Wasn't ASH, Ashchurch? just going from memory here, so could be wrong.

Cheers,

Lex

Lex,

The Key Card No.2 would have had the details of the vehicle at time of change over from Census numbers, ie c1949. So anything that happened after that date would have been recorded in the vehicle's documents, ie all repairs, modifications, inspections and so on. I spent many years working in a REME vehicle workshop and aware of the procedures etc. Regarding this particular bike, the mention of 31BW and ASH indicate what I put in the previous post about Ashford Middlesex.  Ashchurch was a RAOC Vehicle Depot and not a Base Workshop.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, welbike said:

Ok, fair enough, there is a difference in workshops and sales locations ofcourse.

Thanks,

Lex

Lex,

Where you see 'ASH' on the right side of the Key Card with disposal date, this would indicate that a vehicle struck off was at Ashchurch Vehicle Storage Depot. Even more confusing was that the were two REME workshops located at places named Ashford, one in Middlesex and the other in Kent.