Thornycroft Nubian Crash tender restoration in Buenos Aires-Argentine

Hello everyone,

We are starting the restoration of a Thornycroft Nubian Crash Tender powered by a Rolls Royce B80 engine (number 209 w2). This unit arrives to Buenos Aires in 1955 with 40 Avro Lancaster and Avro Lancaster Aircraft. 

Thornycroft Tender is based on Nubian 12ft wheelbase 4x4 chassis. Water transfer pump driven by a power off a dual´purpose drive by a V8 auxiliary engine.

These is all the info we have, taken from newspapers, and archives but we are really in the need of servicing documention both for the engine and vehicle.

please, Does anybody know or have information where We can get hold of any copies to assist with the Restoration. 

Thanks in advance!

Willy Landin

Museo del Automóvil - Buenos Aires

Argentina

willydirector@gmail.com

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6146.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

c28a4a49-a299-451a-9fdc-eb17a6fe26ca.jpg

93f6ebe9-4e15-43b8-9aa8-5e5e53c7e105.jpg

b8e3adc8-5aff-4a5d-b3e5-b853d0202ef8.jpg

04d1c592-1be4-4b88-a6cb-18fa3635a3fc.jpg

40e057ce-6458-45eb-8303-70570d1aa9e4.jpg

• Like 5

Willy,

I'm sorry I cant offer you much help with information, but I  do wish you every success with the restoration. I look forward to seeing updates on your progress! 

kind regards,

G506

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Willy Landin said:

Hello everyone,

We are starting the restoration of a Thornycroft Nubian Crash Tender powered by a Rolls Royce B80 engine (number 209 w2). This unit arrives to Buenos Aires in 1955 with 40 Avro Lancaster and Avro Lancaster Aircraft. 

Thornycroft Tender is based on Nubian 12ft wheelbase 4x4 chassis. Water transfer pump driven by a power off a dual´purpose drive by a V8 auxiliary engine.

These is all the info we have, taken from newspapers, and archives but we are really in the need of servicing documention both for the engine and vehicle.

please, Does anybody know or have information where We can get hold of any copies to assist with the Restoration. 

Thanks in advance!

Willy Landin

Argentina

willydirector@gmail.com

Hi Willy,

It looks like you will need some new parts for the engine. The best man to ask about Rolls Royce B80 parts is Richard Banister  wjrbanister@gmail.com   He is in England.

regards, Richard

On 3/1/2021 at 9:36 AM, Willy Landin said:

Hello everyone,

please, Does anybody know or have information where  famous drones in Canada  https://bat-hawkrecon.com/ We can get hold of any copies to assist with the Restoration. 

Thanks in advance!

Willy Landin

Argentina

willydirector@gmail.com

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6146.jpg

IMG_6201.jpg

IMG_6147.jpg

c28a4a49-a299-451a-9fdc-eb17a6fe26ca.jpg

93f6ebe9-4e15-43b8-9aa8-5e5e53c7e105.jpg

b8e3adc8-5aff-4a5d-b3e5-b853d0202ef8.jpg

04d1c592-1be4-4b88-a6cb-18fa3635a3fc.jpg

Wow! Such an interesting project!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Willy

I got the chassis number, because of Covid it maybe a while before I can access our records.

Enjoyed the photos, you seem to be making good progress. Is that a Ford flat head V8?

Is it a Sun Engineering body, there maybe a makers plate in the cab, I know some guys who worked for them who may have photos of that type.

Regards 

On 3/16/2021 at 9:27 PM, Willy Landin said:

UPDATE RESTORATION

IMG_7392.JPG

Hi Willy,

Excellent work, well done. I have worked on a number of Nubians years ago and from my recollections, I think you have the gear lever the wrong way around, the bend should be towards the engine.

Look forward to updates on your progress.

regards, Richard

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 10:17 AM, Vassa33 said:

Hi Willy

I got the chassis number, because of Covid it maybe a while before I can access our records.

Enjoyed the photos, you seem to be making good progress. Is that a Ford flat head V8?

Is it a Sun Engineering body, there maybe a makers plate in the cab, I know some guys who worked for them who may have photos of that type.

Regards 

Hi Willy

Got the Service Sheet for your Nubian. Seems 2 were supplied to the Argentine Military Aeronautical Dept. in April 1955.As I thought it had a Sun Engineering body fitted, from there it would have been shipped to Argentina. 

Ive attached a photo of the Service Sheet hope it make sence.

Regards Vassa33

argentine 3 (1).JPG

• Like 2

Hi Vassa,  Thanks a lot for your cooperation! I really appreciate this! By the way..Yes the engine in the pics is a Ford flat head V8, now it's working perfectly.

"Is it a Sun Engineering body, there maybe a makers plate in the cab, I know some guys who worked for them who may have photos of that type." If you could ask for some photos or info to these guys, it could be so helpful.

Thanks again!

Hi  Richard Farrant,

"I have worked on a number of Nubians years ago and from my recollections, I think you have the gear lever the wrong way around, the bend should be towards the engine.

You are absolutely right! It was put in a hurry just to check the gearbox in the Wrong way...

Thanks to tell us!

• Like 1