Landrover lightweight

MiketheBike

I may have convinced someone that selling the Merc, and getting a landrover is a good idea. Not sure whether to go for a 109, lightweight or 101.

I would love a 101 but only have £2k tops to spend. Would that get me a decent lightweight?

What are the points to look out for on a leightweight? Are their weka points the same as the series...ie the bulkhead and outriggers?

Thanks

Mick

Mick,

I paid £750 for my Lightweight. It needed a new 1/4 chassis, a good service, the clutch freeing off and some door tops. These were all fairly cheap and simple to do. There are Lightweights on ebay all the time, but they're usually somewhat modified. I have seen very few which don't have big wheels, seats/steering wheel from something else, a V6 or V8 engine etc.

You should get a good one for about £2000, maybe not a perfect one but a good starting point. 109s are cheaper, but are slow and underpowered. 101s are more expensive and more thirsty.

Chris

Try Milweb Landrover section Mick.

http://www.milweb.net/index2.html

Landrover, lightweight, short wheelbase with internal heater.

1980. 2.25l petrol engine. Runs and drives. Good chassis and bulkhead. Ideal restoration project. Requires little work. Two available. £1,550.00 ono each.

0115 932 2056

or

Land Rover Light Weight

24volt. Genuine reason forsale, no MOT or Tax. In need of restoration, gearbox noisey, chassis needs attension for MOT. New hood fitted last year. £900

01326 376871

Hi Mick,

I'm in the "fortunate" position of owning both a 101 and lightweight.

The lightweight is going to be a better bet for everyday use. More commonality with series 3 land rover parts, and hence cheaper to fix.

Yes a lightweight would also be cheaper to run as regards fuel unless you go to LPG.

If you go for a lightweight make sure the top bulkhead vent panel is in good nick. This is the hardest part to repair, and expensive to replace now. Rest of bulkhead is straight forward flat panels. Chassis repair parts are mostly common with other land rovers.

Chassis repair parts for a 101 are more difficult. I waited 7 months for a rear crossmember from the 101 owners club!

One of the main areas to watch on a 101 is front swivels. these are part of the axle, unlike most other land rovers.

Good luck with your land rover purchase and enjoy one of the cheapest and most practical military vehicles available.

Norman

A lightweight is probably the best place to start with your price range. Rough 101's are getting more and more expensive and some parts are getting rare now and expensive too. Quoted yesterday for rear springs if i can get them they will be over £200 each. :schocked:

As stated mechanics of the LtWt are mostly standard parts so common and cheap only body panels are ltwt specific, but most are available.

lightweights are nice cant really go wrong with em once they are running right and i must admit even the standard lightweight looks nice in camo the para version are just awesome, but saying that i have a 109 S3 and i love it yes it is underpowered but it has a character all of its own.

but yeah running costs and maintance on LW are cheap-ish depending on where you go, ebay very very good for rare parts, very very very bad on prices but that is the price you pay lol

anyway good luck in getting one they are loads of fun

I've got a 101 ambulance, still fully kitted, you won't get much of one for 2 grand. Being sensible (!) for that price you could get a good series 3 LWB and still have change, alternately I may know of a LWB 2a FFR, but it would require a bit of negotiation, if your intrested.