ships graveyard

Higginsboat

Hi all,

I don't know if it's been covered here, and please point me in the right direction if it has.

But in the early 1970s we used to holiday in southsea, and my favorite part of the journey there was when we passed over the navel scrap yard. This was magical in my mind and has always stuck in my mind. I can remember seeing ships and submarines there, very rusty. But I can't find any reference to this place or photos. Any ideas...

Cheers.

That's the date we would definitely be there. Midd 70s.

And can remember what I would call a Navy day. We with alot of other people, actually went on a Naval ship, sorry don't know the name, but I'm sure we had a ride in a duck that went out the back of the ship? And I've parked in the park and ride lol, had no idea!

I believe there is a After the Battle article write up  about the scrap yard where most WW2 vehicles came from, it had all sorts. When i last visited about 10 years ago the sheds at the back were full of military vehicles. There was quite a lot of stuff under the flyover bridge which you had to go under to get to the yard. Funny place to get to.

Thanks for the info and great pics,  anymore anyone please. They tell so much.

There's something fascinating about scrapyards.. Especially Naval ones, ships and submarines exposed like monsters of the sea washed up on a beech.

Don't know if scrap yards exist in that way anymore in this country. Even the car ones seem sanitized and over the counter places....

Is there a scrapyard section on HMVF....