Bedford ql core plug advice

retalator

Morning i want to replace some core plugs on the engine but i have never done it before.

i’ve been told to place some grease on a drill bit and drill a hole in the centre then pull out. Then tap the new one in.

is this the best way?

do i need any sealant when put the new one in?

what should i tap the new one in with?

any advice or picture would be great

thanks

image.jpg

l would suggest you replace all the core plugs while your at it and flush the  block out while they are removed when replacing  them find a socket a bit smaller  than  inside of the cup plug if its a tight fit you will struggle to get it out when you drive it home l always smear a bit of sealant round before putting the core plug in l done two rebuilds on the 28 hp bedford engines in the last month and replaced all the core plugs in both

there are a number of sealants that are available l  use hylomar  blue  but there are others. as to flushing the block l use a steam cleaner but a  standard pressure washer will do or a hose pipe  . with the core plugs remove you can loosen  a lot of the crap with a tool like a long thin screw driver it does take time because you will be surprised at what come s out

As a footnote to replacing  the core plugs and flushing out the the block the cylinder head gets over looked  the attachment shows what was removed after steam cleaning the head it was left for a week and this was removed using a small round magnet attached to a small plumbers pipe spring the rust weights 2 ozs which if not removed would / could block small water ways 

image0 (1).jpeg

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To reinforce the necessity to remove the build up in both the block and head, this photo shows No.6 piston from a Bedford engine. I heard this engine running and alerted the owner to a knock coming from the rear of the engine. On dismantling it was found the the piston had seized at some point and one side of the skirt had cracked and on the point of breaking away. This could easily have resulted in the rod going through the block. The cause? A very heavy build up in crud all around the No.6 bore meaning that no water was getting there and born out the the crud was actually dry at the back of the block. If you ever have to renew a leaking core plug, then clean the block out at the same time.

Bedford piston.JPG

• Like 1

I've never managed to pull a core plug out . Usually just use a very sharp cold chisel to punch the centre and then collapse the outer flange inwards. Perversely,  always found them a satisfying job to do as long as they weren't the one hidden behind a lot of other components or adjacent to a bulkhead etc.