POL Can identification and use

B series

I have a new old stock ex British army container for storing some type of liquid. Due it's unusual shape I think it must have been designed to fit in a very cramped space, maybe an AFV.

Due to it's height versus base ( H 10 3/4  x W 1 1/2 x L4 1/4 inch) it is very unstable, and must have been prone to spillage during use.

Steel with brass fitting and cap. Markings are: JA 0220    14MB, the government pheon/arrow and date 1962.

Does anybody know which vehicle or equipment this is related to?

image.png.9deecae7f0d11cdcfb4f5584c6078edb.png

image.thumb.png.59b52081a4b8aa7a5a250fd2fb013b9f.png

image.png.9d2187d7b7d61407185175160e8a4365.png

Many thanks

B Series

Thank Clive & Richard for the info you have provided.

I have an original  VAOS Identification list/catalogue, sections E3 thru KG. and also W3, dated 1946, however this Bottle/Tin is not listed in Section J1 Camp Equipment which is why I did not know its background. Maybe it is because I do not have subsection JA.

Does VAOS normally list all items available, or only those shown on the Plate illistrations?

There must be a good reason why the container has such a high centre of gravity, especially if it contained methylated spirit. It is very unstable unless on a flat & level surface. What would methylated spirit be used for that needed a special shaped container?

MB = Metal Box company, learn something new every day.

The VAOS book is interesting with illistrations of Tentage attached to WWII lorries, early forklift's, recovery gear, hospital equipment, tables & chairs, fire fighting equipment, a huge selection of stores and equipment.

I think the producers of VAOS J1 1946 were seduced by the glossy paper & being able to illustrate so many items that they forgot to include so much stuff that appeared in the 1941 (non-illustrated) version!.

VAOS should normally include all items that are demandable in that particular Section. There might have been a more comprehensive vocabulary & what you have is more of a pictorial special!

I have catalogues of Government publications from 1890-1980 that list VAOS but it would take some time to investigate :  (

Thank you all for your assistance, so much knowledge on this forum.

I have another old can,  I do not know if it is military, but it has military appearance with the reinforced corner protectors. It is steel with brass fittings, a complicated design involving 20 components soldered together.  No markings, and no evidence of any paint finish. Size H 9 1/2 x 5 1/4 x 7 inch.  Is this a WW II "flimsey" or similar?

image.png.bfd49d76b3a9c5b59bc2fa0a7f25c033.png

image.png.a2ee4c513f8fcb778c0689bacfead5ae.png

image.png.d4e6ebe3b554a85994bcc8ff27cf212f.png

On 12/6/2020 at 12:01 PM, B series said:

I have a new old stock ex British army container for storing some type of liquid. Due it's unusual shape I think it must have been designed to fit in a very cramped space, maybe an AFV.

Due to it's height versus base ( H 10 3/4  x W 1 1/2 x L4 1/4 inch) it is very unstable, and must have been prone to spillage during use.

Steel with brass fitting and cap. Markings are: JA 0220    14MB, the government pheon/arrow and date 1962.

Does anybody know which vehicle or equipment this is related to?

image.png.9deecae7f0d11cdcfb4f5584c6078edb.png

image.thumb.png.59b52081a4b8aa7a5a250fd2fb013b9f.png

image.png.9d2187d7b7d61407185175160e8a4365.png

Many thanks

B Series

It’s possibly part of a kit where it would not be left standing on its own i.e. removed from its holder, a little poured into something else and then placed back into its holder/case.

I think it is a proper paraffin can for filling Tilley lamps , paraffin stoves , blowlamps  etc.       I can remember the village chemist filling my methylated spirits bottle with one.  You went to the ironmongers for paraffin  -  demarcation I suppose.

A Valor version

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Valor-Paraffin-Oil-Can-Esso-Blue-/142373057502

• 3 years later...

I found this thread interesting as I purchased this tin yesterday at the Dallas Autos Sunday Dig Out. I found the shape curious and had not come across the number designation before. From reading the comments above, they suggest it is a container for Meths. The idea for filling camping lights or similar would also fit the unusual shape being made to store in a kit perhaps with a Tilley Lamps as they are very similar height. Whilst not a definitive answer, I am pointed in the right direction. many thanks

image.jpeg

IMG_3847.jpg

Zooming in on your picture & increasing the contrast it looks as if it reads JA 0220, in which case I have identified it further up stream. You can just make out the M of the co-joined MB.

As far as Tilley lamps go, all the spares & accessories are listed on one page in VAOS J1. The associated can appears as Cans, methylated spirit JA 5549

• Like 1

Hello Clive,

Yes, I saw your post,

"JA is a sub-section of the Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores Section J1 Camp Equipment

JA 0220 is a Bottles, Tin, Methylated Spirit, 1 1/2 pints" .

It did not specify what the Meths was used for, assuming Camping equipment. the shape of the tin suggests it may fit into a box or crate alongside an item whilst being transported perhaps. 

Howard a VAOS rarely gives an application, just sufficient information so that an item of supply can be identified & demanded. I must admit I am hard-pressed to think of many legitimate applications for meths in a camping role. 

The 1941 VAOS gives two possibilities:

JA 2410 Warmers, food, spirit lamp. Spirit lamp & saucepan with lid.

JA 2448 Traffic control equipment, lamps

Many camping items seemed to get packed in wicker panniers. The medical comforts pannier in particular has nice little compartments for a range of matching rectangular containers.

• Like 1