Flea photograph in MotorCycling magazine: question

rewdco

Which picture are you referring to with the gables Jan? The problem is that nearly all of Bournemouth has been rebuilt with high rise student accommodation and apartments. I don't recognize much from when I was a child. 

There are buildings in Oxford road that resemble this, but whether they are all new or refurbed, I can't tell from street view. 

George Hartwell had his huge 'Rootes' garage in Holdenhurst road that went right through to Oxford Road, I went there lots of times, but got a job to work out were it was now??  Ron

Perhaps it's a language barrier? What I call a "Gable end" is the end wall of a building that has the pointy bit for the roof?

I've been looking at images of the RN cordite establishment at Holton Heath. Some similar buildings but I don't think it's there.   

I can't find a printed location/address for the RASC training school.

Ron

Just found this in the January 28th 1943 issue of MotorCycling:

"A few weeks ago (December 10 te be exact) "Cyclops" wrote a story in "MotorCycling" concerning a very large Motorcycling Training School "Somewhere in the South East," where officer cadets are given an intensive course of instruction on motorcycle riding and maintenance before e going on to their O.C.T.U."

Sounds very much like Lieut.Col. C.E. Bowden's "RASC Officers' Training School" in Bournemouth, or am I wrong...? 

IMG_3393.jpg

Hmmm! Since Bournemouth is right in the middle, It's difficult to call us South East. Especially as we come under the ancient area of "Wessex". I just looked it up on Wiki and they give our location as South West. I think anyone writing about this area would just refer to it as South.  Ron??

Think I found something! This article is about Lieut.Col. C.E. Bowden's RASC Officers' Training School in Bournemouth, I'm absolutely sure about that. Arthur Bourne and Bowden were friends, they both had an Ariel Square 4, Bowden had just invented the "Task System" which is also mentioned in the article... It all fits like a glove!

Next step: can any of the faces in the article be recognised in the picture with Tony Wilson Jones (holding the Flying Flea with registration number EAB 332 in his arms)? Could the Corporal Instructor in the article be the man next to Tony Wilson Jones...? Or is this just wishful thinking...?

IMG_3547.JPG

Enfield..jpg

Schermafbeelding 2020-11-12 om 21.38.01.png

Schermafbeelding 2020-11-12 om 22.00.28.png

Edited by rewdco

I've emailed the Dorset council history archive to see if they can tell where the motorcycle school training area is (But Covid and all that???) 

I've seen mention of Hengistbury Head as an army training area and along with the probable shallow water at low tide in Christchurch harbour  and low flat dune beeches at Mudeford ????

Why is nothing written about the locations?

Ron