Triumph 3S de Luxe

pawelcen

My name is Pawel ( eng. Paul) and I am a new forum member from Poland.
I have two Triumphs 3S from 1940.
Probably both were sent to Russia with the help of Lend Lease and served in the Polish army in Russia. Because they were not entirely original, so I decided to restore them to the specifications from 1940. One will be the version of 3S de Luxe, and the other in the colors of Polish Air Forces in Great Britain.
I would like to ask for help in rebuilding and finding motorcycle numbers in the contract numbers.
First (de luxe version):
frame number: TL 15567
engine number: 28594

Contract number: C5108.

I started the topic in the "Introductions & Welcomes" section and now I'm moving him on the advice of "No Signals" to "Motorcycles" section.
I will be grateful for all comments and help.
Paul
Edited by pawelcen

I buy a civilian de Luxe (ex military) in 1982. The front wheel, mudguard were from DKW NZ and the front fork was not original. It had a Polish army nameplate from the 1946 (demobilization). Instead of the year of production is the date of release of the model. The engine number has a first digit added.
The frame has original numbers in the head and under the saddle.

This motorcycle had a field stand attachment welded to the frame. Unfortunately I removed them in 1982. I thought it was a post-war, not original modification.

civilian Triumph 3S in 1983.jpg

Civilian   .jpg

Civilian  .jpg

3S engine number.jpg

Civilian.jpg

IMG_20190212_185307.jpg

Hello Pawel. Unfortunately as you can see from this excerpt from "British Forces Motorcycles" the records for contract C5108 are inconclusive. Lots were lost during the bombing of the Triumph factory in 1940. The bikes on the left in the picture are from that contract. Note the 6" headlamps. I think these are based on the pre war 3SE. The field stand pivot was a bolt on item for these.

Ron 

Scan_20200610 (3).jpg

WKUPtJN.png

pivot1.jpg

Hi Ron,
thanks for the info.
They may have been based on the 3SE model, but they have an aluminum chaincase and magdyno just like the de Luxe model.
My frame ranges from 14612 to 14612+ 3300.
In my motorcycle the field stand pivot was moulded. :(
Paul

Moulded pivot .JPG

Ron, probably you are right. This weld does not look professional.
In foto place of removed clips (de luxe).
In the picture I can see only one name plate on the top of the tank. Just like in my tank.
Thanks Ron.
Do you know who makes copies of luggage rack?
Paul

Removed  pivot.JPG

DSCF4821.JPG

Edited by pawelcen

I thought i would copy in this exchange on the bike that ended up in the introduction section 

Hi Pawel

thank you for sharing the details of the bikes ..I have enjoyed reading the thread so far and reviewing the photos 

Frame TL15567 ..The engine stamping were very interesting as with triumphs it's not unusual to see the engine numbers modified post war ..

In the period immediately after the war triumph had a manufacturing success and many people wanted a triumph 

War time bikes were undesirable and the value was in the pre war bikes and post war so many ww2 bikes were modified to be attractive to these market .potentially your bike was one of these ..Triumph have very distinctive engine stamps ..so as.you have identified you have the inspectors WE stamp ..followed by the year 40 (1940l and the model 3s

The Engine number has had a 3 added (wrong font) to the front and this has been used to register the bike in Poland but mis identified..you also have the contract number which again is a triumph stamp C5108

the large overstamp of 71435 is interesting and is an doing a bit more research into that ..could I get a close up of that stamp please ...

The frame should have the lugs for the field stand clips ..or the weld marks where these have been removed

Jenkinov

Hello Ron,
in the photo from the Triumph factory you can see the rear number plate with the bottom half painted black. The inscription Triumph is also visible, as in civil versions F1822. Was she prepared to paint the registration number digits?
Regards

Rear and front number plate.jpg

Rear number plate khaki green-black.jpg

Hi Pawel. Yes it's the same (civilian) number plate I have fitted to my 3SW and 5SW. They seem to only put the census number on the front number plate or tank after the front number plates were soon deleted . But there is a couple of examples where a unit number was put on the rear number plate. 

I have seen and restored a couple of BEF period Royal Enfield WD/C's where the census number was applied to the rear plate. 

Ron

3SW 139.jpg

Armoured 3sw CM Picture 6.jpg

DSCF0705.jpg

Edited by Ron

The Armoured Triumph 3SW is a fantastic example of the ingenuity and experimentation tried by the british army when following Dunkirk armoured vehicles were in short supply 

A Replica of the Bike has been made and its story is on the Walsh family vehicle Collection web site  WFVC.CO.UK

Motorbikes were used in a  variety of experiments at this time including one of my favourites ..The mounting of a Thompson Sub machine Gun .

Jenkinov

Shaun Walsh brought his replica to our Goodwood Revival display a few years back. It was as much as I could do to lift it upright off its field stand. 😅 Ron

PS Jenk, here's a couple to print off and put by your bed!☺️

Bushy Park May 2010 Pic 6.JPG

Jurby.jpg

Jurby-2.jpg

Edited by Ron

Hi Gents 

Firstly Ron , Thank you for the photos of the Thompsons mounted on the Matchless , I had not seen these photos and its interesting to see the mounts ..I did like the HMG variant in the background and cannot recall seeing a surviving example 

Pawel , my Triumph 3sw has the welded field stand attachment and is from  contract C7162 .can we have a close up of yours so i can compare it ? , I am unclear on the date they moved from bolt on to welded field stand mounts ?

Regards

Jenkinov 

Hi,
My both Triumphs had a welded field stand. As I wrote, the one from order C5108 ( TL 15567) has already been removed, but there are marks on the frame. There is a brass stain after the clip. There is no sign after the bolt handle, but I remember it was.
Bolt and clip are preserved in the TL17954  frame.
I don't have a stand, but I hope you can help me get it. :)
Cool Matchless pictures.

There is no problem about deviation from the topic. It always goes this way.
Ron, thanks for the photo with the cheerful girls next to BSA. I think it is a motorcycle from the armored unit of General Maczek. My colleague has two BSA WM20. One with registration number C5212599 from order S2603. Maybe from the same military unit? :)
Regards

Both frame befor painting.JPG

chopper frame project.JPG

after rebuilding .JPG

BSA 2 rama 101899 (zam. S2603 03.03.1943)  C5212599 .jpg

Edited by pawelcen

Indeed Pawel. Sean Walsh told me he once rode his in his "quiet" road and it was not the nicest ride he's ever had!!

Here is a scan from the prop stand pages from my 3SW (contracts 8079 & 7162) and 5SW (contract 7828) which show the clamp on stand. And my original clamp with some numbering.

My 3SW is from a previous contract C6128. Neither my 3SW or 5SW  had any signs of lugs being ground of or braze stains.  My 5SW had its clip lug ground off. We know that changes took place before parts lists were updated but I haven't got any other 3SW parts lists to compare or guess at when a change took place. Has anyone got different lists? 

I think I have a spare pole....Will check and take a picture later.

Scan_20200619.jpg

DSCF0989.jpg

Edited by Ron

I don't know if these handles were welded at the factory or were they modified in military workshops?
Both bikes had the same.

See by the shape of the weld, is it the original workmanship and shape?
The part catalog for Triumph 1939 has different part numbers. 

Prop stand mount.jpeg

Rear axle.jpeg

Spar parts katalog 1939 models.jpg