Simms Magneto Designations

Does anyone have a list or table of Simms Magneto Types that shows the principle characteristics (i.e. rotation direction, coupling etc) against Type designation.

There are a large number of different Simms types and I cannot unravel what the various codes mean.  i.e. SR4LFO, SR4LE etc etc.  The number obviously relates to number of cylinders but googling does not flush out what the other numbers mean.  Lucas seemed to use a similar designation system.

I am looking for a magneto for my Leyland and want to work out what would be a workable alternative.

Thanks
Dave (S&F)

Dave I would have expected some sort of list like that to be somewhere in EMER POWER O that covers Vehicle Electrical Systems (Commercial Pattern) I only have the bits of Section O that cover charging systems.

No doubt they would be listed in terms of their component parts (but not function & properties) in the Vocabulary of Army Ordnance Stores Section LV6/MT8 but again I have not collected the magneto sections.

Looking to the RAF in AP 1086 Section 16E MT Electrical Systems there are a handful of Simms magnetos again just parts but not properties, it does at least list applications (that VAOS doesn't)

So don't know if this helps at all.

IMG_20200531_110519.thumb.jpg.0788e97ae6b3f94b6167693562b54e24.jpg

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Scrunt & Farthing said:

but dont know how to get into the members area of the website to access technical data.  I am not certain it has been enabled yet.

Cheers

Dave

Is it self service only for information or is there an archivist?