Vehicle signs and markings

Zero-Five-Two

Question

There's bound to be a thread on here about vehicle signs, but I haven't found it yet, so may be some one can point me in the right direction.  I'm trying to investigate the correct signs to go on the front of my Militant Tanker.

1006565585_scanpic.thumb.jpeg.6bbbd569601267c81019732859771409.jpeg

I scanned this picture from Les Freathy's book (Sorry about the quality)  It shows a Tanker with 2 signs as well as the normal bridge plate.  I'm assuming the near side one is cross of St Andrew for a Scottish unit, which would suit mine as most of it's career was spent in Edinburgh.  Is the Off Side one for Division?

Main question is, what size should they be, and what colour?

9 answers to this question

The badges are 52nd Lowland Division (Brigade after 67) and on the other side a yellow and blue  square with a white strip on top on which the unit designation was sometimes printed.    On the door is a Royal Corps of Transport transfer.  

Probably either 153 or 154  Transport Regiment RCT.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/154_(Scottish)_Regiment_RLC

Edited by REME 245

there are three sizes of the RCT crest water slide transfer that appear on the photograph the one attached is the largest the smallest been 4x4 inches there are two sizes of the arm of service  the largest  to fit the standard size metal plate drct.thumb.jpg.74756a19ee7f7ce216958693a7cf9dc8.jpg

Edited by wally dugan

Best thing about this forum, no matter what the question is some one has the answer.  Thanks for the replies gents.

REME 245 you are right on the money with the 154 Lowland Regiment.  My Tanker spent most of it's career with 225 (QOLY) Squadron RCT. Which became part of 154 Regiment. So the badges on the one in the picture would suit mine as well.

Not convinced I want to go as far as the RTC badge on the door, it will clash with the RE blood in my veins 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2020 at 3:05 PM, wally dugan said:

……... there are two sizes of the arm of service  the largest  to fit the standard size metal plate

Hi Wally,

I think I read somewhere that the standard size plate is 9.5" vertical and 8.5" horizontal.  Have I got that right? 

Had a look at the Tanker today and there are 2 screw holes on the front near side that would match this size.