New Member In Scotland

Hello everyone ;-)

I'm rik and live in Edinburgh , but spend a lot of my summer's helping Nick Johns in London , showing his vehicles or helping as much as I can , servicing or as was the Jeep re-building ( he said it wasn't the plan !!! )

But it was in bits sooner than I thought lol ! I've a keen interest in all things in need of restoration especially old engine , I really get a kick of firing up old engines after years of silence, thats a feeling you just can't bottle !

I know theres a few military people north of the border and I'd really be interested in meeting up for shows or beers or just for learning new stuff about other vehicles

cheers rik

Welcome Rik.

Know what you mean about firing up old engines - got hold of an old Gardner 5LW with Brsitol bus radiator on skid unit, managed to get it running and found that whenever I walked past it in the workshop, I just had to press the button and hear it idle away. Worked out I was wasting about 15 mins per day, so had to put it out of reach for my own good!

Engines are meant to be run lol, I would say that it was in the best interests of the engine !! there was a bloke at one of the smaller shows who had a post war 12 pot tank engine I've a pic somewhere who was running it straight piped ( three foot flames out the top when he revved it ) 30 or so Fathers with young siblings hanging around when he started it then a round of applause afterwards, gawd did it brum . Oh and he was running it out of a 20 litre jerry can. Joy smiles and then there were the steam enthusiasts and the pop pop stationary engines guys ----f'ing noisy grumble grumble :evil:

rik

Nice to have someone from the Athens of the North. Many's the time the wife and i enjoyed getting the bus out to see our outlaws living in Silverknowes or over in Costorphine and Drumbrae. Sadly, they are mostly all gone - but we've still got a few hanging on around Leith and friends over in Dalgety Bay. One of them had a setter that could eat through walls. Lovely dog, always smiling. Good times going out for ice cream in Musselburgh at Lucas and out to North Berwick or East Fortune to look at the planes. Good times. Welcomne to the forum. Nothing wrong with engines...

MB

Engines are meant to be run lol, I would say that it was in the best interests of the engine !! there was a bloke at one of the smaller shows who had a post war 12 pot tank engine I've a pic somewhere who was running it straight piped ( three foot flames out the top when he revved it ) 30 or so Fathers with young siblings hanging around when he started it then a round of applause afterwards, gawd did it brum . Oh and he was running it out of a 20 litre jerry can. Joy smiles and then there were the steam enthusiasts and the pop pop stationary engines guys ----f'ing noisy grumble grumble :evil:

rik

This guy, if its the same one, gets to most of the steam rallys in sussex.

(the engine sits in a green 'bath') and he drives a tidy large engined landie.

As you say,..............certainly don't want to try talking above the roar, and yes, its like a magnet,....folks come rushing over when he cranks it up. :-D