White Scout Car in British use, NWE 1944

Old Git

Unfortunately the TNA is off limits due to COVID and Brexit is going to make it a bit more difficult.  I've already gone through the search engine and WSC does bring up very few hits. But I'll keep giving it a try. I wondered if Bovington might have something but I doubt it. 

I'm not sure yet but there seem to be 2 configurations possible. Either a single canvas with a triangular cut centrally that is folded back; with on the sides round cut outs with flaps. Or its a canvas with a triangular cut out and side cut outs on top of the standard WSC canvas top. 

As to the internal configuration of the vehicle I dont know, nor the actual radio configuration (solely wireless n°19 or other(s)). What I do know is that this top is noticed amongst the WSC used by the Belgian first field artillery - CPO (command Post) vehicles. The Dutch only used the WSC as Signals vehicles.  Would you have any more information on the actual internal configuration of these vehicles (as the radio was usually on the right hand side, I thought)

Everything I've been able to discover I've collated and posted in this thread so that it can form a base for whomever else can add to the sum of knowledge. Have you read the whole thread? I posted several scans on the first page showing radio fit-outs. The pamphlet I referenced can probably be bought from Hans Van Meel, Grucho Pubn's, as a reprint.

Yes, I've read the thread, thats why I'm following up here instead of starting another thread.

I've seen you posted exerts from the Jan 1945 fitting instructions and the 'Para' version. Given they've made a manual in Jan 1945 seems to me to be indicative either there was no structured way previously; or a different way.  

The Belgian wartime WSC's for instance had antenna in front; not in the rear. Unlike British and Dutch vehicles. . I seem to remember having seen some with the radio's placed on the long side.

So, still have questions as to internal configuration of the WSC radio vehicles prior to the Jan 1945 manual.

I'll post here if I find more. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/26/2021 at 9:13 AM, davdberg said:

So, still have questions as to internal configuration of the WSC radio vehicles prior to the Jan 1945 manual.

I'll post here if I find more. 

There might be some documents in the National Archives, still waiting to be uncovered, but it will require someone to get in there and search for those. It is on my list but, having recently experienced a HDD disaster, my next few visits (covid permitting) will be used up re-copying stuff I already had copied but now need to do again. The vagaries of life, eh!

Well, the TNA is a bit too far off with me and COVID only makes it more difficult. However,  I am in touch with someone that could pay them a visit but its waiting for time and lifting some more restrictions. I'll ask him to look into archives related to Belgian forces instead of the vehicle ones. Maybe something can be found in there which can provide us with a further lead. 

I've been looking at possible tents that may have been re-used but I dont see a link there. 

Edited by davdberg

• 6 months later...
On 4/25/2021 at 12:31 PM, davdberg said:

I beg to differ though. I've seen the same on a Prinses Irene Brigade vehicle and on a XXX corps(?) WSC but with the rack addition. They do have 1 thing in common: they're all radio vehicles.

I wonder if a specific canvas was made for the racked versions and these were used for all radio vehicles. Would explain it. 

1942-BAIV-M3A1-4-x-4-White-Scout-Car-12.jpg

Don't mix this picture/setup with a standard radio SC, as this picture appears in the Phantom at war as a Phantom Recce vehicles, who's units are attached ti units and have multiple transceivers/receivers/map boards replacing their Dingo's

I havnt seen the picture of the Dutch WSC as being labbeled Phantom (so far) and as indicated; I've seen pictures of Belgian WSC's with the same canvas top configuration (CPO vehicles). The emphasis for me was on the canvas top; but meanwhile I bought a Dingo

11 hours ago, davdberg said:

I havnt seen the picture of the Dutch WSC as being labbeled Phantom (so far) and as indicated; I've seen pictures of Belgian WSC's with the same canvas top configuration (CPO vehicles). The emphasis for me was on the canvas top; but meanwhile I bought a Dingo

Quite a few Dingo and White picture on the Phantom Recce Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/203638516480791

On 6/16/2019 at 8:44 PM, Runflat said:

These have lost their rear bumper as well as other mods - spare wheel and cans (IWM B 8148 and BU 1418):

B8148.jpg

BU1418.jpg

Top photos is of an WSC of  C Squadron of the Inns of Court (Armoured Car) Regiment, RAC at their post D Day operations harbour at Le Fresne-Camilly in Normandy, under command 1 Corps, where a fire broke out amongst vehicles (trucks carrying ammunition iirc ). They had a few WSCs at Squadron command level - usually with rollers removed..

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 6/21/2019 at 6:18 AM, Old Git said:

Tim,

it looks to me like this is just a couple of pieces of angle-iron, held together with cross members and bolted to the back of the WSC. The two upper cross members are obviously designed so as to not foul access to the two rows of footman loops on the back end. Those appear to be two wooden blocks, bolted to the bottom angle iron, to act as wheel rests. It doesn't look like a very complicated thing to make and anyone with welding gear could knock this up just by eyeballing it from these photos.

there are photos of WSC in british service with rollers and skate rails on them. One of GAD and others of REME

• 1 year later...

A chap called Geoff Hornsby posted these images on FB and has been gracious enough to permit me to upload them here. This is the tilt for the Wireless Configuration on the White Scout Car, the one with the zips at the front and various openings for the aerials. He apparently bought this as NOS from someone in Italy.

Bristish-WSC-Cover.jpg

Bristish-WSC-Cover-2.jpg

Bristish-WSC-Cover-3.jpg

Bristish-WSC-Cover-4.jpg

Bristish-WSC-Cover-5.jpg

Edited by Old Git
  • Like 1

On 2/11/2024 at 9:21 PM, Old Git said:

A chap called Geoff Hornsby posted these images on FB and has been gr4acious enough to permit me to upload them here. This is the tilt for the Wireless Configuration on the White Scout Car, the one with the zips at the front and various openings for the aerials. He apparently bought this as NOS from someone in Italy.

Wish this was around as a pattern 10yr ago. Not sure I can justify the expense of a 2nd canvas for my WSC.

• Like 1