Anti freeze

Great War truck

Question

As the nights are drawing in (sorry, but it is true), i thought that i should put new antifreeze in the Jeep. Now, i understand that there are two types of antifreeze (i have not got the technical name to hand but one is blue and the other pink). I also understand that the blue stuff is what i need in my Jeep. I also understand that it is not a good thing to mix two manufacturers different antifreezes although they are the same chemical. Why is this?

Thanks

Tim (too) :rtfm:

13 answers to this question

The blue is Ethanol based, don't know about pink never seen it. A tip, all the manuals say 'Use rain water'. If like me the water in your area is so hard you can eat it, worth buying disttiled water to add to anti freeze. I always use 50/50 summer and winter, helps summer cooling, and change every 2 years. i would also advise add a bottle of K Bar. this helps prevent rust and seals any little quirks.

Now, i understand that there are two types of antifreeze (i have not got the technical name to hand but one is blue and the other pink). I also understand that the blue stuff is what i need in my Jeep. I also understand that it is not a good thing to mix two manufacturers different antifreezes although they are the same chemical. Why is this?

Tim,

Many years ago, there was two types of antifreeze, one being cheaper and not lasting much more than a winter. It was alcohol based from memory and boiled away, where as glychol based anti freeze is much more reliable. I was not aware the alcohol type was still around......that is assuming this is what your pink stuff is. Best check what type it is before buying, ie read the small print!

Tim,

Many years ago, there was two types of antifreeze, one being cheaper and not lasting much more than a winter. It was alcohol based from memory and boiled away, where as glychol based anti freeze is much more reliable. I was not aware the alcohol type was still around......that is assuming this is what your pink stuff is. Best check what type it is before buying, ie read the small print!

just had a look at the box. The blue stuff is ethalyne-glycol. this is suitable for any engine including ali blocks. The reatings are 25% -8c 33% -12c 50%-25c. Additional wil provide protection to -33c the standard is BS 6580.

Hope this helps.

I think the green colour, in a water system, might indicate the presence of a seperate an anti-corrosive additive, not just anti-freeze? We add it to our Scanias at work, also my Militant has it added :whistle: (don't ask). I know anti-freeze can be very searching, making hitherto unknown leaks become apparent because of the coloured stain visible on the exterior of the water system, but I've not known it actually attack a system, usually it was the case that the action of draining a system to anti-freeze it, coupled with the fact that the anti-freeze can dislodge debris, that leaks appear, i.e. it was knackered anyway, the anti-freeze just made it show up.

I try to leave all my vehicles with anti-freeze in them all year round, as it does seem to keep them free from clogs etc, I just make sure that towards the end of Sept, that I check the strength.

Technical stuff...

Green- Contains Glysantin. Is nitrite,amine and phosphate free. Not suitable to mix with other types. Pure ethylene glycol

Red- contains glysantin. Silicate free, organic acid technology. Pure ethylene glycol, May be used universalyy, provided system is flushed before refilling.

Blue- Traditional antifreeze, suitable for older vehicles. Contains mono Ethylene Glycol not methanol or alcohol

:yawn:

ISTR we had green stuff in our CVR(T)s until about 1980 then changed to blue stuff. Not a clue what was in it, but at this time we never worried unduly about 3 Shock Army coming over the IGB in winter because at that time the conscripts didn't get paid enough to buy alcohol so they drank anti-freeze.

I am currently using Halfords Advanced protection Antifreeze which is also a summer coolant in my Hotchkiss. The antifreeze, not the jeep is pink.

The container reads" a silicate free organic acid formula" plus the usual blurb on how good it is for your engine but goes on to say older engines can further benefit from its improved heat transference properties.

The contents include ethylene glycol. It seems to run fine and hasn't eaten any of the engine components yet.

I know in rally cars they use cooants which include chemicals which are water wetters to improve the performance of the cooling system.

Would anyone like to comment on the suitability of Halfords product in case it is eating my engine from the inside.

In the Pink at present , Centurion

Is this the pre mix stuff? I always used distilled water and blue in mine, the water round this part of Kent is hard enough to eat. I also add K bar when I change it. Touch wood over the years no problems in any vehicle. The manuals always recommend rain water. I also use melted ice from the fridge/freezer filtered through a coffee filter into plastic drink bottle. not tight just don't believe in the easy way.