25 Field Squadron, Royal Engineers. Any information?

SirLanceUK

I was Attached to 26 Engineer Regt where there was 5, 25 & HQ Sqns at Iserlohn.

The Barracks were Corona but still know by the wartime name of Seidlitz Kaserne. By the local taxi Drivers. I was there from 1975 to late 1977. At which time 2 Armoured engineer regiment was disbanded. & Joined 26 to Become 26 Armoured Engineer Regt. I was posted out a Few months Later.

There never was a 26 Armoured Engineer Regiment. There was however, at Corunna barracks, 26 Engineeer Regiment which with 5, 25 & HQ squadrons when augmented by 2 Field Support Squadron, became 3 Armoured Division Engineer Regiment. The history is on the web and, in 1980, my brother joined the REME workshop attached to the regiment and....  I was in the district and knew my stuff. It was not the first time I or my brother were associated with the barracks for in 1955 it was named as Epsom Barracks and we were babies there as my father was the ASM REME of the LAD attached to 3KOH. The barber who cut my brother's hair 1980-84 was the very same one that had given him his first haircut in 1957 and remembered him for the trouble he gave and fight he gave our father in holding him still for hair chopping! Link:https://www.baor-locations.org/corunnabks.aspx.html

6 hours ago, BlueBelle said:

There never was a 26 Armoured Engineer Regiment. There was however, at Corunna barracks, 26 Engineeer Regiment which with 5, 25 & HQ squadrons when augmented by 2 Field Support Squadron, became 3 Armoured Division Engineer Regiment. The history is on the web and, in 1980, my brother joined the REME workshop attached to the regiment and....  I was in the district and knew my stuff. It was not the first time I or my brother were associated with the barracks for in 1955 it was named as Epsom Barracks and we were babies there as my father was the ASM REME of the LAD attached to 3KOH. The barber who cut my brother's hair 1980-84 was the very same one that had given him his first haircut in 1957 and remembered him for the trouble he gave and fight he gave our father in holding him still for hair chopping! Link:https://www.baor-locations.org/corunnabks.aspx.html

My Apologies! yes it was 3 Armd Div & not 26 Armrd. It was a long time ago! 😄 2 Armd Engrs Joined 26 Engr Regt & it LATER was renamed 3 Armoured Div Engr Regt. I was Present for the Disbandment & Amalgamation Parade whilst On Attachment to 26 at Corona Brks.  The Barber was a Herr Rhiner & He fought in the Wehrmacht During the War. I Read His Diary & Handled his Award decorations that he showed Me on one occasion. He wouldn't sell them though!

One of His duties also, was He was responsible for the washdown Point in the Camp. He always talked about the RSM John Bond. As If They were best Mates. I did some Work for the RSM & I can assure you. John Bond couldn't STAND Rhiner! 🤣

• Up 1

Then I suspect I too knew Herr Rheiner as it was in Corunna Barracks that I was walking one day when the RSM fell in beside me.  "Where are you going Sir?" he said, "Across to the squadron office", I replied.  "I don't think so", he said.  "Aren't I RSM?", "No, Sir, I think you're actually on your way to the barber!"  "Oh! OK RSM, I expect I am!".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, 10FM68 said:

Then I suspect I too knew Herr Rheiner as it was in Corunna Barracks that I was walking one day when the RSM fell in beside me.  "Where are you going Sir?" he said, "Across to the squadron office", I replied.  "I don't think so", he said.  "Aren't I RSM?", "No, Sir, I think you're actually on your way to the barber!"  "Oh! OK RSM, I expect I am!".

Rheiner was part of the Fixtures & Fittings In Corunna! He was an EXTREMELY Loquacious character. The RSM Then ( John Bond ) Detested him! 😂 

• 1 month later...

25 Field Squadron RE History..odt25 Field Squadron RE History..odt

I served my National Service with 25 Field Squadron RE from 1960 to 62 within BAOR in Minden & then Paderborn & am attaching a history of the Squadron as I know it.  I drove a Bedford 3 tonner & then a Humber Armoured Pig with 2 Troop before taking on the job of Squadron Pay Clerk before demob. I also played in the 2 Div 'Cross Keys Dance Band' & would welcome hearing from anyone out there who remembers me. 

On 12/5/2022 at 8:15 AM, fv1609 said:

Welcome Mike. Any pictures of the Pig? In service pictures of vehicles are such a valuable resource.

Sorry, I have no Pig pics. but here are a couple of the Bedford I drove.  I have been asked what Mk. it is, have you any idea?

Best Regs.  Mike

N.S. Bedford 2.jpeg

N.S. Bedford 1.jpeg