Land Rover Tithonus Engine plate

Surveyor

It's the reconditioning plate. When an MoD engine is reconditioned a data plate is affixed stating the code of the workshop where it was reconditioned, the date and the details of the work undertaken.  Then the whole engine is put back together and sprayed duck-egg blue - as yours is.  In your case it seems that the cylinder bores are still standard while the main bearings and the big ends have been honed by 10 thou.

10 68

6 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

It's the reconditioning plate. When an MoD engine is reconditioned a data plate is affixed stating the code of the workshop where it was reconditioned, the date and the details of the work undertaken.  Then the whole engine is put back together and sprayed duck-egg blue - as yours is.  In your case it seems that the cylinder bores are still standard while the main bearings and the big ends have been honed by 10 thou.

10 68

Thanks, slowly piecing the information together, taking a step further I assume the serial number then is the number of reconditioned engines this factory did prior to this one?

46 minutes ago, Mk3iain said:

Surely it's the serial number of the engine, stops the plate being put on the wrong one, for whatever reason...

I knew there was something I forgot to look for, the serial number on the engine, thanks

Not like any plate I have seen before by such as  ABRO or British Railways Engineering.  At first blush I considered the plate had been cropped to fit at that location , but it seems too neat against the anodised lines , so probably not.  They are often fitted with blind spline rivets or drive rivets on outside of the water jacket - a bit daft , at least at that position the cast iron will be thicker. 

A typical  2.5na engine No. would be such as prefix.  10J or 11J  , mine is a 12J suffix C  .    A 15J would be Sherpa ,  14J  Black cab

I know BR used to buy in spare engines to make up the numbers on reclaim , can't see the engine number at all,   seems a bit long-winded for a workshop number or reconditioners code  ?

Edited by ruxy
spelin

I believe they were the Directorate Support Systems (Combat Support Vehicles) - now something entirely different in DE&S MoD possibly Director Land Support, (Vehicle Support), (OSVs) Operational Support Vehicles or somesuch.

Here's another one, of similar design, on a Land Rover 2286cc engine refurbished at Rycroft Bks, Ashford, Kent (EC02) in the mid-80s

Rebuild plate on engine 21 Dec 17.jpg

57 minutes ago, Surveyor said:

Sorry can you explain, grey funnel line

Richard

Well - if you look at the  sirhc plate , you can see it is a generic (all makes) and it has been bent just under  - REMANUFACTURED  FOR  D  SP  SYS  CV  , to get it to fit in the restricted space ,  as I surmised  - it seems your plate has had this cropped off  , to enable it to fit  ?

Yet ,  the  sirhc  plate does not have the details of the work done ref. crank grind undersize & any re-bore oversize.  I can only think around the turn of the last century all was input to a database & you just keyed in the  'search' code.    The word  FOR  does indicate a outside contractor did the work for what by then was called the SUPPLY CHAIN  or something , DE&S  (Defence Equipment & Support)  ,  the handle  ABRO   seemed to vaporize – part of the MOD

11 hours ago, 10FM68 said:

I believe they were the Directorate Support Systems (Combat Support Vehicles) - now something entirely different in DE&S MoD possibly Director Land Support, (Vehicle Support), (OSVs) Operational Support Vehicles or somesuch.

Here's another one, of similar design, on a Land Rover 2286cc engine refurbished at Rycroft Bks, Ashford, Kent (EC02) in the mid-80s

Rebuild plate on engine 21 Dec 17.jpg

Ruxy

a correction, it was Rowcroft Barracks, which was 44 District Workshop REME at that time. 

28 minutes ago, Richard Farrant said:

Ruxy

a correction, it was Rowcroft Barracks, which was 44 District Workshop REME at that time. 

Not  Ruxy

----------------------

Actually  ISTR it was you that sorted for me the fact that  EC prefix on repair plates was  "Eastern Counties"  group of Army Workshops.   I used to have to visit RAF  & Army sites  = Yorkshire up to Carlisle for many years inc. Catterick workshops but was never aware.

I have the odd crated cartridge - I hope sound  , & several  2286cc non-runners purchased from Misc. Auctions  .  

British Railways Engineering - I have at least two & their plates were bonded on with something like Araldite,  IIRC their reputation not so good but I have one in the Rover 10 and it is perfect.

regards  Tony

Ruxy was chosen as handle on this forum as it was the family name for the Rover 10  - where the civvy Registration started  RUX     LoL

Edited by ruxy

27 minutes ago, ruxy said:

Project Tithonus started 2007  , so it is probably not a refurbished engine by Hobson Industries.

Ruxy

Thanks for this lead, I have emailed Hobson but no response.

Was looking to see if they or anyone had a breakdown of numbers, e.g. 110, defender 110 etc

3 hours ago, Richard Farrant said:

Ruxy

Sorry Richard, the mistake was mine.  I meant Rowcroft!  It was late at night.  We've talked about this before - I knew it well from running my BFT round the place some years back!  And, as you know, EC was Eastern Command, latterly Eastern District.  Now, of course, it is all gone, though the manor remains among a lot of new houses.

10 68

2 hours ago, Surveyor said:

Just noticed the serial number on this plate is the same as on my plate

It probably denotes the precise build stage / upgrade of the engine, there was a few differences to civilian spec. of same circa.   Such as fitted with oil recovery cyclone (as invented by a REME Major)  this was to prevent self-destruct when the inlet air paper filter became clogged with lub. oil.  ,   also IIRC the injection pumps were slightly different  (to accept such as aviation kerosene).

3 minutes ago, ruxy said:

It probably denotes the precise build stage / upgrade of the engine, there was a few differences to civilian spec. of same circa.   Such as fitted with oil recovery cyclone (as invented by a REME Major)  this was to prevent self-destruct when the inlet air paper filter became clogged with lub. oil.  ,   also IIRC the injection pumps were slightly different  (to accept such as aviation kerosene).

Sounds logical to me, its great how a simple post develops like this

The original cyclones were steel & a bit of a 'collectors piece'  ,    when adopted by Solihull - I think all theirs were plastic.  Do you have one fitted  ?   Although my 2.5na is LR Spec.  the inlet side I have fitted is Sherpa  with drum style filter housing - so the filtration is adequate for public highway only , not inc. desert.  I don't therefore have a cyclone fitted.

Edited by ruxy

7 minutes ago, ruxy said:

The original cyclones were steel & a bit of a 'collectors piece'  ,    when adopted by Solihull - I think all theirs were plastic.  Do you have one fitted  ?   Although my 2.5na is LR Spec.  the inlet side I have fitted is Sherpa  with drum style filter housing - so the filtration is adequate for public highway only , not inc. desert.  I don't therefore have a cyclone fitted.

Being ignorant re engines but learning, could you explain, many thanks.

My greatest challenge was changing the oil and filters which I went out and celebrated, I am in awe of the people on here who can weld rebuild etc

Edited by Surveyor

I don't want to hijack the thread, like 10 68 I well remember running BFT's through Rowcroft. The Eurotunnel track runs through where the gates used to be that connected the 2x barracks....you can't stand in the way of progress unless you want to be hit by a train!

11 minutes ago, Prague1996 said:

I don't want to hijack the thread, like 10 68 I well remember running BFT's through Rowcroft. The Eurotunnel track runs through where the gates used to be that connected the 2x barracks....you can't stand in the way of progress unless you want to be hit by a train!

I feel if something jogs memories it's acceptable