1940 Triumph 3SW Restoration

flyingfleasteve

So nice weather yesterday allowed me to press on with the reassemble of newly restored parts. The oil tank, filter and oil lines  now reinstated with the addition of a newly enquires pre war oil cap. The original cap is proving a challenge to source but this one is much better than the alternative which it came with.

the dynamo/magneto straps are now on with newly fabricated fixing pins.

BE7E5CDC-4943-4661-9D87-902053A8534F.jpeg

0AFDC0AE-A0AF-4DB4-B99A-0B800E6F0408.jpeg

Cracking on Steve! Is that field stand  bent though? I see a tree out side with a forked trunk,  Sometimes ideal for straigtening  stuff😊

BTW this is the pre-war/war-time gearbox inspection cap in case you want to look for one?  Ron

DSCF1375.jpg

Hi Ron 

There is still an ever so slight bend in it, I have had it wrapped arround a post, a tractor and the vice no more give left in it. I am a little apprehensive about putting anymore force on it, I have a sneaking suspicion the tube might kink before it gives anymore. Thanks for the info on the gearbox filler cap, this is something on ‘the list’. ‘The list’ seems to have doubled since the start of the project......... 

The fieldstand will bend quite easily with heat from a welding torch. I've straightened and bent allsorts that way.

You can buy all the cables off JJ Cables on 01926 651470 (mention my name if you want) They will have all the spec and correct nipples and adjusters etc.

If however a cable arrives with some discrepency to it's length or free length, they will alter it fee of charge.  Ron

9 hours ago, flyingfleasteve said:

A newly equired steering damper knob now also fitted.....

4C803A99-44E8-4A37-9B5C-7ABFD870D436.jpeg

I’ve been looking for one myself Steve, Brian’s run out of a batch he made, and Ace Classics don’t have any either !. 🙁

Edited by HotBed

9 hours ago, Ron said:

The fieldstand will bend quite easily with heat from a welding torch. I've straightened and bent allsorts that way.

You can buy all the cables off JJ Cables on 01926 651470 (mention my name if you want) They will have all the spec and correct nipples and adjusters etc.

If however a cable arrives with some discrepency to it's length or free length, they will alter it fee of charge.  Ron

Ron, are the cable nipples the same size for 7/8 and 1” levers ?.

Edited by HotBed

Ron, thank for the information, that’s a great help! The field stand has that ‘rustic charm’ 😉But you are totally right I may need to find some heat to get that final bend out of it.

This is the first bike I have restored in some years so a little apprehensive I won’t have it done in time....but I do hate taking short cuts.

fingers crossed it will make it to France!

Graham the handlebar size has nothing to do with the nipples. From memory the brake and clutch lever nipples are usually 3/8" but I have seen smaller 5/16"? Just measure the nipple holes with a drill bit before ordering anything. 

Ron

So things have been busy in work this week, not much time to spend on the 3SW. I managed a few little things......remainder of engine brackets now fitted, horn attached and the piecing together of the side stand to the frame. A push this weekend now to get the primary chain side of the engine back together and reinstated the newly made wiring ‘harness’. A full renovation of the regulator is no needed so the electrics can be tested

A56B09CF-2F1A-4659-84DE-59027D6FD246.jpeg