New toy

Mk3iain

Things have been quiet for quite a while and I have decided to go around the Landy and sort out a few wee things.

The suspension and other bits are showing surface rust after a couple of years in Aberdeenshire damp air, so I've got it up to strip down and clean then paint.  The gearbox came out for a new clutch, and then it went daft as usual.

The footwells had the dreaded rust and needed repair panels.  I have since found better panels with pressed channels (?)...

The gearbox filter had bronze coloured grit and the mag plug some fur and it had been slowly dripping oil. So I decided on stripping it down and maybe overhauling it.

I have seen very little sign of wear and am now just pondering the baulk rings.

My question is how to tell if they are worn.  The vehicle has only done less than 30k Kilometers and it shows, even the diff thrust washers are hardly used.  When back in position there is about a 2 mm gap from the ring to the gear.  There is no sign of where the bronze coloured grit came from.

Anyway some pics of the carnage...

IMAG0082.JPG

IMAG0081.JPG

IMAG0080.JPG

IMAG0077.JPG