Lightweight shock absorber removal

guykay

Hi all

just I'm the process of changing the front & rear dampers on my S3 lightweight.

amazingly the top retaining bolts are coming out fine courtesy of a previous owner

coating them with some releaseant or other. The split pins resting the bottom fixings however are another matter

there seems to be no way of easily removing these pins other than cutting them off flush and then drilling them out. Has anyone any suggestions?

the other issue is putting new split pins in. It seems virtually impossible to compress the new rubber mounts enough to be able to insert new pins

Hi all

just I'm the process of changing the front & rear dampers on my S3 lightweight.

amazingly the top retaining bolts are coming out fine courtesy of a previous owner

coating them with some releaseant or other. The split pins resting the bottom fixings however are another matter

there seems to be no way of easily removing these pins other than cutting them off flush and then drilling them out. Has anyone any suggestions?

the other issue is putting new split pins in. It seems virtually impossible to compress the new rubber mounts enough to be able to insert new pins

Just chop the pins off and use a good quality pin punch , if very bad - I use a undersized 'stub-drill' to loosen / then hammer the bits out.

With the bog-std. rubber cone bushes - I have heard of people using a very large nylon tie-wrap , I have used a rope attached to the opposite shock with a foot in a loop to compress. LR - the very hard plastic HD cone bushes (harder to fit) - most people use a 2" bit of tube or a old large 1/2" drive socket with slots cut out (hacksaw / grinder slitting blade) & file) in conj. with a G clamp - compress against the flat-washer, get it right and then weld the attachment to the G clamp for the next time . Insert the new split-pin via slot - job done almost LoL

btw - Silverline , cheapo that most ironmongers now stock - do some large cast iron ,orange painted G clamps , soft castings but OK for this

Edited by ruxy
btw