Wide track Trailer markings

robin craig

Dear All,

Can anyone take a look at this trailer and decipher the markings please?

I have figured out some of the, the I.R.R. PAINT on the bottom left is fairly self explanatory. The VANCOUVER on the lower right is likely because it was shipped out to Canada through the Port Of Vancouver or would be returning to the UK that way.

The far left upper block looks to be some kind of CVD preservation / issuance standard block.

The upper right string starting with the F.S.O. is a mystery to me.

This trailer was photographed in Wainwright in the province of Alberta in 1983 by Ed Storey from whom I have permission to use the image.

wainright wide track ed storey.jpg

Robin, guesswork only but the string top left looks like the asset code. The block below it starting Cl. 1 - Class 1 repair and date etc? The string starting FSO appears to be associated with Vancouver, so part of the same shipping (or whatever) details?

Is BATUS stuff (which I assume it is) really shipped via Vancouver? Seems like the long way round!

Sean thanks for the info,

as far as your question as to which port you might want to look at a map of the world with distance on it.

BATUS is nearer the sea on the west coast than it is on the east coast of Canada, this is not a small country as I found out when I first came here.

The movement of the vehicles and equipment was in some years done by Royal Fleet Auxiliary but I think the distances and costs soon made it something that was tendered out.

Yes, some years kit went through Vancouver but more often these days it goes through Montreal and then by road and rarely by rail these days. The freight industry has become so cut throat.

Here are some videos of BATUS kit on trains, you will note the passenger car behind the Challengers for obvious reasons.

No clue on that top string about Vancouver?

Robin

Edited by robin craig

I have a Lightweight FFR that came with the MOD Service Record , it spent time at Suffield and has the service stanped as such. However - I noticed another Service Stamp 'Fort Wainwright' , so I do a Gooooogle and find that Fort Wainwright is near Fairbanks Alaska LoL

Much later - I learn there is in fact a Canadian training area @ Wainwright , Alberta (north of Suffield) , although I don't think this is officially called Fort Wainwright . I don't think I worked that one out ,,

Ruxy,

for many years the main armour training was done at Suffield (BATUS) but there was an infantry and light artillery training done up at Wainwright at CFB Wainwright. I have seen some documents marked BATSUW as British Army Training Support Unit Wainwright and a bunch of the last petrol Land Rovers around here came from there, don't confuse it with Alaska.

here is a link to some of the clean up http://www.ceaa.gc.ca/052/details-eng.cfm?pid=22453

Edited by robin craig

Sean thanks for the info...

Hi Robin, yes, I know where Wainwright and BATUS are, having been in Calgary a few years ago among other factors.

What surprised me was that west though AB is, it's still some considerable distance to Vancouver (1200km?), and shipping there puts you in the north Pacific which means North West Passage (not open in the '80s), down to Panama or right round the world via Suez.

It seemed a lot more direct despite Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Ontario to put things on a train, take them to the east coast ports and ship from there straight across the Atlantic or vice-versa - your comment about Montreal seems to confirm that.

Having said that, I suppose varying competitiveness of routes and shippers, availability of space on ships, ice and space on the many ships to and from Asia would all play a part.