GMC starter nose cone snapped off!

TooTallMike

Hi folks,

So, having dealt with the hideously blowing manifold on a customer's GMC I could finally hear the engine itself and was horrified at a random rattle that became apparent from the moment it was first started. I went through everything I had done (had removed head to drill out broken studs etc.) but all was fine. Using a piece of tube as a stethoscope I was able to narrow it down to the rear right side of the engine but after that it was hard to tell. After much head scratching I thought it might be something loose in the clutch but when I pulled the lower access cover off it was obvious that the nose cone had snapped off the starter and was rattling against the flywheel. I have no idea how long it has been like this as everything is so filthy it's not possible to tell from its condition. I've not seen this before so is it common?

I'll post a photo when photobucket starts working again...

Regards - MG

Edited by TooTallMike

Never seen anything like that before, Richard's probably on the right track with a stress fracture due to torsional side loading, I wonder if loose mounting bolts may have the same effect over time ?.

The casting on the right hand side of the break looks like it may have a very course grain structure this may have contributed to the failure..... either way it's toast :(

Pete

You may find the shaft slightly bent, from perhaps someone trying to move the vehicle on the starter, and the pinion trying to ride out of the ring gear and side loading the nose / outrigger bushing.

That's probably what it could be Richard , but unlikely if it's still 6 volt !

Mike we had a dumper come back to base last week with exactly the same fault , tight bolts and shuttle gearbox , so you can't start on the key , we put that down to an angry ground worker and a pick axe !

Once it was all cleaned up I found some sections were cleanly fractured while others were more jagged. I feel that dodgy casting may have been a contributing factor.

I welded it back together and it has started 5 or 6 times today without breaking off again. I have been entirely open with the customer and warned him that it will probably not last. The unit spins fine so fortunately is not bent.

Regards - MG

Mike, I am not sure if you want to get parts from abroad, but I just noticed last weekend that Jeep village in France offer the nose as a separate item for 18 Euros.

http://www.jeepvillage.com/index.php?mmond=1&entry=212&crtmeta=62&crtsc1=1087&crtsc2=1274&crtsc3=1327

Alex

Thank you Alex,

A friend also kindly pointed me towards them too. I now know they sell more than just Jeep parts. I had no idea due to their company name...!

In fact we have sourced a working starter close to home which will be fitted this weekend.

Regards - MG