Land Rover Info Help needed

Lynx22B

We are having a problem registering some ex military Land Rovers, we can't figure out the year of manufacture. which is needed for the paper work. This is what we have:

SALLDHAC8BA257881

90 Diesel Reg Number 60 KJ 15

Cont No LV2A/004/Item 24

Code No VB 1625

NSN 2320/99/893/8038

Second Veh:

SALLDVAC8AA268260

Third Veh

SALLDVAC8HA700460

Any help in decoding would be greatly appreciated. We're in Canada, these are ex BATUS

Dear Lynx22B,

You have several different methods of tracing the year of manufacture.

The one that is the most solid in my view is to pay for the certificate issued by the British Motor Industry Heritage Trust which holds the records for all manufacturers from a certain period forward. They were being sourced through Gaydon which is the home of the museum, you can likely do a good Google search, it does cost but it gave me a very nice printed certificate with axle and engine and chassis and VIN detals and colours and customer etc and day and year and month off the line.

There is a Freedom of Information request system by email free of charge through the UK Ministry Of Defence that will show contract details and DIS ie Date into service. You might also request a copy of the old MOD Form 654 for the vehicles using the Army Registration Number such a your quoted 60 KJ 15. Those numbers will be on a data plate screwed usual to the seat base. In Ontario the Ministry of Transportation have accepted the UK MOD 654 DIS as being close enough and have accepted that on a routine basis with supporting letters as required.

As you say the vehicles were sold ex BATUS if you were the original purchaser those numbers will be on the paperwork somewhere from the Canadian Federal Crown that are part of your transaction although not usually immediately recognisable. If you bought them secondhand from someone else then they are likely gone. Can you scan and email what you have? I would be wary of posting here as clone registrations have been known to happen based on web posts.

The Crown Assets website is searchable for past vehicles sold for a certain amount of time.

Were you the original purchaser?

There is also quite a good VIN decoder on the OVLR website and is again found by a Google search.

I am more than happy to help you if I can, does this help you?

Edited by robin craig

I went straight to Land Rover with the same issue, they need chassis number and gave me a date when it left the factory, in my case that worked, if they need to do more investigation there is a fee, can't remember how much, but did thank them by email

Just type "decode Land Rover VIN" into Google and there are several sites with explanations of what each letter and number reprisents. The VINs are in the same series as the civilian ones so it tells you quite a bit more than just year built.

David