Windproof smock, any ideas?

matchstick

I've just got my hands on this today and am rather curious about it as it seems

to combine several features of various patterns to my eyes, and I've drawn a blank on

JSP 2-02 on defence gateway.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]116674[/ATTACH]

Not the clearest label in the world, reads smock combat (windproof dpm) 8415-99-137-9099

[ATTACH=CONFIG]116677[/ATTACH]

Sleeve pocket buttons are like the ones you'd find on "94" patt smocks.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]116678[/ATTACH]

On the one lower front pocket is this button from garment unknown (I also have a parka with this type on both lower pockets, anyone know which garment these would've originally been on?)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]116679[/ATTACH]

the remaining three front pockets have the standard windproof smock buttons like this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]116680[/ATTACH]

Rank slide is of a heavier "94" type material aswell, the epaulette itself doesn't seem to be as worn or washed or the same shade as the rest of the smock but appears to be original to it

[ATTACH=CONFIG]116681[/ATTACH]

Hood is like that of the SAS smocks and has no evidence of having ever been tailored or cut down to look as such.

If anyone has any clues on this I would be most appreciative as it has me baffled, to me it's somewhere between being a normal windproof and an SAS one.

My apologies, my account seems to have an infuriating habit of logging itself out when I go to post and things not working correctly when I log back in and continue on from the last auto save.

Here they are again hopefully working this time.

DSCN1934.jpg

barely legible label

DSCN1938.jpg

"94" type button

DSCN1939.jpg

mystery button

DSCN1940.jpg

normal button

DSCN1941.jpg

main view of top portion + rank slide

DSCN1942.jpg

close up of hood

It's the final iteration of the SAS smock in cotton before the polycotton type with zip chest pockets and slotted buttons. These sometimes have rank tabs added, as yours has. Nothing odd about it. I have one very similar.

Thanks for the clarification on that, I was just thrown off by the description on the label and the 137 as the first three of the last seven in the NSN as I've only seen them labelled as smock combat camouflage windproof and 132 as the first three of the last seven and with out rank tabs.

Any ideas on what the odd button is off? As I say I've got a parka with the two bottom pockets with similar replacement buttons but have never seen any other garments with ones like those.

I've just looked at the NSN on mine which is 132 not 137. Are you certain it's not a 2? Mine has a similar plasticky label but in green not white and not configured like yours - it says SMOCK, COMBAT over Woodland DP (not DPM as yours appears) over Windproof over the NSN over NATO Size over the size and only below that does it say Height and Chest. Mine has contract number DC2CESL/3129 which I have seen on other examples. With yours using a different description, layout and NSN it's presumably either a private purchase copy or by a different maker but with that worn label it's hard to see if there is a contract number.

I can't see the odd pocket button as the attachments in the first post still aren't showing for me.

I've just looked at the NSN on mine which is 132 not 137. Are you certain it's not a 2? Mine has a similar plasticky label but in green not white and not configured like yours - it says SMOCK, COMBAT over Woodland DP (not DPM as yours appears) over Windproof over the NSN over NATO Size over the size and only below that does it say Height and Chest. Mine has contract number DC2CESL/3129 which I have seen on other examples. With yours using a different description, layout and NSN it's presumably either a private purchase copy or by a different maker but with that worn label it's hard to see if there is a contract number.

I can't see the odd pocket button as the attachments in the first post still aren't showing for me.

Definitely a 7

I'll try and see if I can make out any contract numbers etc tonight.

attachment.php?attachmentid=116692&d=1467213741&thumb=1

This here is the button of obscure origin to me.

Having looked over the label thoroughly all it has is:

Item name

NSN

Height/Chest size

Section for owners name and number

Washing instructions for machine and hand

Ironing instructions

Reproofing instruction

Professional laundering code

No signs of a contract number.

Having looked over the label thoroughly all it has is:

Item name

NSN

Height/Chest size

Section for owners name and number

Washing instructions for machine and hand

Ironing instructions

Reproofing instruction

Professional laundering code

No signs of a contract number.

It'll be a private purchase one then, presumably bought by service personnel not issued with one but who for whatever reason wanted one. Quite possibly made by one of the workshops producing the officially-contracted garments, as it looks identical to mine, and the label with the wrong NSN subsequently added by the retailer. No idea what the odd button is but I suspect it's the closest the owner had to hand when one of the original ones fell off.

It'll be a private purchase one then, presumably bought by service personnel not issued with one but who for whatever reason wanted one. Quite possibly made by one of the workshops producing the officially-contracted garments, as it looks identical to mine, and the label with the wrong NSN subsequently added by the retailer. No idea what the odd button is but I suspect it's the closest the owner had to hand when one of the original ones fell off.

Bit odd that they'd have one made personally just to have it without a wired hood, but then I suppose soldiers are an odd breed.

I shall have to keep a sharp eye out for anything that comes with the odd button used to replace the original missing one.

It is a Royal Marine issue Arctic Windproof smock NSNs CAS 8415-99-137-9095 (size 160/96) to 8415-99-137-9106 (size 190/120) plus 8415-99-137-9107 (special measures).

Don't know the Contract Number.

Specification is UK/SC/4438-21102A

Specification SAS Smock (Woodland) is UK/SC/4431A-21049A

with NSNs CAS 8415-99-132-3951 to 8415-99-132-3964

Found some Arctic Windproofs on ebay with Contract nos CT1a/1114 and CT31b/1143 also a smaller size - 160/88 NSN 8415-99-137-9094

Arctic Windproof was fitted with a wired hood, although in many examples the wire has been removed, whilst the SAS type windproof did not have a wired hood.

It's not an arctic smock. There's never been any wire in this hood, which is the smaller "SAS smock" size - the wired hood is much bigger with an extended flap the front, to fit over other headgear and keep rain etc out of your face. It's safe to say the arctic smock NSN on the label is due to sloppy research by the retailer.

It might seem odd that these windproofs were made privately, but there isn't any doubt of it as plenty of SASS and Arktis labelled examples exist, as well as unnamed examples like this.