Rust Removal

Surveyor

Just back on the forum, busy trying to get some work in, reading this I would say the solution was not strong enough

The battery charger says fully automatic

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/car-battery-chargers/halfords-fully-automatic-battery-charger

So not sure if its the right type to use

It's a slow process anyway. 8 amps should be enough for 20-30 liters of solution, but if you use 100 liters of solution you might need a more powerfull powersource and maybe add a few more anodes (the scrap metal connected together by an electric wire to the Plus of the battery charger). I've heard about someone using an electric welder as a power source for de-rusting a trailer chassis in a swimming pool...:D

Hi

You are correct in the context of electrolysis the soda is there to promote electrolysis. But in the process look at ways to improve the rust removal I tried Heating the Water and in the process discovered that Washing Soda will also remove OD paint quiet nicely.

I took a strong solution of washing soda and water in a pot filled with small parts and heated it in electric pot to 180-212 F let it cook for 1/2hour and then pressure washed them with 180F water and the paint all came off. Great way to process bolts small parts.

Cheers Phil

And maybe a rotating tub to ensure everything gets cleaned and the solution does not stagnate, and perhaps a built in pump and filter...? :D

trevor