Scam replies to ads - please read

1000sunlight

Sorry Richard, but our new younger members need to know how to protect themselves, and history is important as it shows the depths these scammers can go to and the misery they can cause....and how long the effects can last!

You are right Bernard, took along time to get over that!

These scammers constantly evolve their tactics and methods , HMVF should in theory create a safe place for us the users we can network and establish who is the potential buyer .Ensure your buyer Private messages you ask for a landline and mobile ,don't just dish out your details ,Don't just accept their excuse they are currently working in Upper Volta for a penguin rescue company. Watch for signs of Sunday school english It should be a red flag every time somebody wants to buy a bit of kit from you without seeing it. Another one is if the "buyer" refuses to have a phone conversation. Think about it, if he is at sea or in Upper Volta or serving abroad and can't have a phone conversation, what are the chances he has Wi-Fi to go back and forth with your emails? Sell your kit locally , face to face. If it looks like a duck and talks like a duck it might just be a duck . Close the scammers out don't simply dish out your your numbers its potentially Data mining....to which I would add if they sound like a fist magnet well ..........

Edited by CVRW721

Following an ad on the MVT's website for some M38A1 parts - steering box and column, radiator and other misc parts- I got a couple of these;

Pete Bailey <pete.sparepartsupliers@gmail.com> (who purports to be in Texas)

Hello John,

Thanks for writing, We are currently dismantling a 1955 NEKAF (Dutch-assembled) M38A1 Jeep and we have your requested parts for sale in excellent condition and decent shape. Parts includes (steering box and column, radiator and other misc parts). I am asking a $600 shipped, Asking price includes shipping via FedEx or ups which ever you prefer. I'll accept payment via moneygram. What's your complete shipping address?

Thanks,

Pete

How he knew what the 'other misc parts' were made me snigger...

From the same wanted ad, I also got this - allegedly from Salzburg;

engelengel34@outlook.com

Hello

My name is Christian Wolfgang Engel from Salzburg - Austria, i saw your advert on http://www.mvt.org.uk/wanted.html about your wanted advert to buy, i have for sale, Please contact me if still interested and i will send you photos and my asking price, also i will need your complete home address to calculate the shipping cost to your doorstep ,thanks and your urgent response will be appreciated

Greetings

Both scammers, when asked, sent pics of M38A1s that were far too good to be being broken for spares...

Edited by Jolly Jeeper