Matador find

mike30841

Went to look at a QLT body over the Easter break. This proved to be beyond salvaging, unfortunately, but as we were about to leave, we spotted some Matador bits - an engine, axles, and I think there was a gearbox/transfer box. The owner indicated that he would be prepared to sell. After a bit more probing, it transpired that there was also a Matador in the barn, also for sale if he gets the right offer. There is no body, it having been removed to fit a fifth wheel. It appears complete apart from that, including the winch, and all straight. The cab appeared fairly sound - there is a bit of corrosion here and there, but basically sound. I got the impression that the wooden frame was fairly sound, there was no sign of give when I climbed up. I couldn't give it a really good inspection, due to poor light and lack of time. I will try and post a couple of pics in the next couple of days. I was assured that it was last running around two years ago, and that it had only done around 12-14k miles since rebuild by REME in the early fifties.

If anyone is interested, please pm me for contact details - the vehicle is in the Peterborough area.

Mike

Hi Colin,

Pretty bad - it has been sat on the ground since at least the mid fifties, and in my opinion it isn't restorable - if I thought it was, I would have bought it. All the panels are shot, and several of the uprights have rotted away from the crossmembers. I am not sure it retains enough structural integrity to be lifted out in one piece. Unfortunately, it has become hemmed in by many years of scrap machinery, so it would have to be craned out over a chain link fence, so not likely to be cost effective anyway once you add in transport costs.

Regards,

Mike.

Hi Colin,

Pretty bad - it has been sat on the ground since at least the mid fifties, and in my opinion it isn't restorable - if I thought it was, I would have bought it. All the panels are shot, and several of the uprights have rotted away from the crossmembers. I am not sure it retains enough structural integrity to be lifted out in one piece. Unfortunately, it has become hemmed in by many years of scrap machinery, so it would have to be craned out over a chain link fence, so not likely to be cost effective anyway once you add in transport costs.

Regards,

Mike.

Thanks Mike, Thats a real shame. As Dan said If you have any pics I would really like to have a peep at them. I'm renovating my one and am after a few minor bits.

Hello there. I have messaged you but not sure if it arrived in your inbox! Would like some more info about the Matador please? I'm only in Cambridge so not far from me! Did it still have original engine in it? Cheers

Hi Russ - PM sent. As far as I can recall, the chap said the original engine was still fitted, and that it was a runner.

Regards,

Mike.