Converting wipers to electrical on the MW

Jelleyboy

Question

Hi guys, I've got 2 Lucas electrical land rover wiper motors that I want to replace the suction fed ones, could anyone give me any advice on the setup for this if you've done it in the past please? I just need to know where the connections need to go and if there are any additional parts I require - again this is my first restoration so apologies if it's a silly question.

I know I need to drill 2 additional holes on the windscreen sections to allow the motors through, going to hopefully attach to the unused panel switch on the dash if it works.

Thanks in advance,

Luke

17 answers to this question

Hi Luke,

Mines converted to electric and i rewired the whole truck a few years back. I cannot recall the wiring diagram but getting my MW out of storage for the weekend this weekend so if you don't get any joy between now and then i can certainly draw the wiring circuit for you. It's a very simple circuit from memory.

Cheers

Richard

Do the wipers have the switch built into the motor? If so, you need an earth for each motor, from casing to windscreen mount, then a power wire from each one down to the fuse box, or an in line fuse to a live terminal. If they don't have the switch, then earth as before then a switch in circuit.

Hi Luke,

Mines converted to electric and i rewired the whole truck a few years back. I cannot recall the wiring diagram but getting my MW out of storage for the weekend this weekend so if you don't get any joy between now and then i can certainly draw the wiring circuit for you. It's a very simple circuit from memory.

Cheers

Richard

Hi Richard,

If you wouldn't mind please I would really appreciate the assistance - it's looking like Sunday ill get some time in on the Bedford

Do the wipers have the switch built into the motor? If so, you need an earth for each motor, from casing to windscreen mount, then a power wire from each one down to the fuse box, or an in line fuse to a live terminal. If they don't have the switch, then earth as before then a switch in circuit.

The motors are these - image.jpg not in as good condition, one has a box on the right hand side where the wires would connect

I have early land rover ones on my Dodge haven't got the bit on the outside that's in the picture and I ran a fused live up to them and earthed them through the frame as you can switch them on and off on the motor itself,this seems to work well.I do have a reduction box fited as the Dodge is 24volt and the wipes are 12 volt.It was fairly easy to do especially once you have drilled the holes.

Simon

Luke, I've not forgotten you. Had problems with my MW today and the time just run away!! I'm sure I've got a wiring diagram (albeit homemade) amongst my paperwork somewhere so will have a look this week mate.

No problem mate, hope you can solve the problems on yours, when ever is convenient to you thank you

I have early land rover ones on my Dodge haven't got the bit on the outside that's in the picture and I ran a fused live up to them and earthed them through the frame as you can switch them on and off on the motor itself,this seems to work well.I do have a reduction box fited as the Dodge is 24volt and the wipes are 12 volt.It was fairly easy to do especially once you have drilled the holes.

Simon

Hi Simon,

So you have to turn them on by the unit manually - so 1 at a time to switch on, ok, I will need to post another pic, one of the motors I have has a box on the right hand side instead of 2 screw areas for wiring. The part on the front are you speaking of the travel stopper?

s-l225.jpg

I've just taken these from google, but that's the box fitted to one of the motors?

Luke

500909a_600.jpg

Hi,yes you have to switch them on one at a time,but this kept the wiring simple and meant I didn't have to alter the motors, I don't have the travel stops fitted as they didn't come with them and personally I think it keeps it neater and the don't sweep more than is needed, if you want a picture let me know and I will take one.

Simon

[quote name=Jelleyboy;461262

I know I need to drill 2 additional holes on the windscreen sections to allow the motors through' date=' going to hopefully attach to the unused panel switch on the dash if it works.

Thanks in advance,

Luke

Luke,

This may sound obvious, when drilling the extra holes, remember you are very close to the edge of the glass. Be very careful.

Jules

Pictures as promised sorry for the delay.

Simon

Sorry for the delay replying, that's perfect thank you for illustrating this for me. You have 3 wires coming from your motors?

One of my motors is like yours the other has a box on it, need to see what the difference is there regarding wiring.

Hi there's only 3 on the first motor as I took the feed from that one across to the second motor and it was all done so if the drivers one stopped I could swap it for the passenger one quickly with out having to do any wiring as things never break at a convenient time lol.Simon

PS there is normally a seat cushion in the Dodge but it was being reupholstered when I took the picture:)

Hi Simon,

So you have to turn them on by the unit manually - so 1 at a time to switch on, ok, I will need to post another pic, one of the motors I have has a box on the right hand side instead of 2 screw areas for wiring. The part on the front are you speaking of the travel stopper?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]112814[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]112815[/ATTACH]

I've just taken these from google, but that's the box fitted to one of the motors?

Luke

Thanks for that Simon,

upon further inspection, the 2nd motor has only one area for a wired connection due to the box, would you know of any ways round this? If the box was removed I believe there aren't 2 connections underneath I may be wrong but both motors have the same part number..?

P.S I did notice that the seat looked.... slightly under dressed for the photo I must say :D