Correct position for a Ferret's Fuel Cock

Chris Preston

Greetings All,

Could someone more knowledgeable than myself on all things "Ferret" advise me on what is the CORRECT position for the Fuel Cock to use the Main Tank (See photo)? There are NO markings that I can find on the switch indicating which way is the Main Tank and which way is the Reserve Tank.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC

Fuel Cock.jpg

Interesting mastery battery switch Chris.

I have always held that the right side (as reference by the driver seated facing forwards) is the main and the left is the reserve.

That is my opinion, it is worth 2 cents but there you go.

The biggest problem is really a question of housekeeping. If you look at them as a left and right and not reserve and main then it makes a difference

I think that too much fuel is in many of our vehicles and they do not do enough miles and folks do not switch the tap on a regular basis.

Frankly I hold that using one side on the way out and switch to the other on the return trip and keep it filled with stabilised quality fuel is one way or de-commission the OEM tank and run from an auxiliary is the other option.

Chris I will email you privately about a little project I have going that may help

As long as you know where the fuel comes from you are ok.

Have a look at this

http://www.ferret-fv701.co.uk/useful_info.htm

Robin

The only issue with treating the two positions as equal is that (in the unlikely event that you have a working one), the fuel gauge will read incorrectly. The manual states that the positions are marked, but I can't for the life of me find any markings on mine. Given that the sender is on the left side of the tank, my guess is that is the main tank and the tap pointing to the right side of the vehicle is the reserve.

I've only had the vehicle for about a week though and it's not currently running, so I guess that it doesn't matter too much :P

Cheers,

Terry

Robin, I would agree. It's just left and right, with no reserve....the reserve is in a jerry can :)

i would also agree with terry, it's easier to see how much you have in the vehicle right hand side tank than the left....so I generally do not run that side down too much.

mick

As pictured, the valve is in the reserve position. When I had the fuel tank out of my Ferret a few years back, it was easy to follow the fuel lines back to each side of the tank and hence confirm the main/reserve position on the fuel cock.

Cheers, Terry.

Good Evening All,

Thank you very much for your replies - they're extremely helpful (now I can correctly position the switch and mark it accordingly).

As for the Battery Switch - the mounting plate was made of 1/16" sheet metal bent into a "square U" with flanges on the back into which mounting holes were drilled. The plate and switch were then mounted below the fuel filter on existing stud bolts. The switch itself is a commercially available marine power switch with a removable key. (This was my first real attempt at metal work !! ) If anyone's interested I can take some more detailed photos and post them here for your reference.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers,

Chris Preston,

Victoria, BC,

Canada