Looking for Churchill tank air intakes, original or repros

the_shadock

Are these the type where they are in a boxed unit with 3 "snail drum" air intakes on the out side of what I presume is an oil bath air cleaner, and I guess there is one complete unit for each side of the Tank , that sits on the outside of the mudguards?? Does somebody know their proper name, ie. volkes, etc? or who made them, Cheers Andrew.

Nothing like the Covenanter units Andrew.

I made the repro units for the Hill 112 memorial Churchill Pierre-Olivier.

I should qualify that by pointing out they were simple look alike units suitable for a plinth tank. They were not reproduction units in a true sense.

Edited by Adrian Barrell

I guess there would have been a set at that scrap yard in Germany that Rick visited in 2015....if they hadn't all been put to death with a cutting torch :cry:

They tend to go missing pretty quickly. They have to be removed for most transport and there's not much point in putting them back on on-range or in the scrap heap.

i have a set of original intakes but need them for my own churchill so no help to you but i would have thought dave arnold might have some originals, if not then adrian is your man.

if the guys need anything else just let me know and i will help in anyway i can.

rick

We have the same need for our Churchill :-)

The originals were taken off several years ago, due to lack of space I presume, and then some one cleared the shed and they probably went into the bin.

The tank was repainted both inside and outside and we are now trying to find out the history of the tank before it ended up in Sweden after the war.

We think the vehicle number is the correct one, but we have not found the chassis number (yet). There is a hit on the left side of the turret, but it has only touched the tank.

Engine and gearox is there and the tank was a runner in the late 40's, but most of the interior is missing.

The gun was missing when it came to Sweden.

We are trying to find out the facts, who sold it to Sweden. As far as we know the Swedish Defence Attache in London purchased the tank from some one.

Who had tanks for sale in 1946?

Stefan Karlsson, Museum Director and researcher

Strv Churchill T68726.jpg

Hi Stefan

Is this the churchill which is in the comparison video of Panther, Sherman, Churchill and stv 41?

Here are two pictures of your churchill taken by a danish soldier in the fifties, they were apparently on visit there.

Hi Niels,

Yes it is the same vehicle, so far we have only found a few pictures of this vehicle in use with the Swedish Army.

Lovely pictures - I have sent you an email if you could send me the pictures in as high resolution as possible - there might be markings etc that we have not seen in other pictures.

After the trials together with the Panther the tank was used as recovery object.

The turret has been welded on to the vehicle, but as far as I have found out that was done already during the driving trials - qusetion is why it was welded - the trace is still visible both on inside and outside.

Stefan