British Tanks: Are Restoration Projects Still Available in the UK?

jdmcm

As the above says, am sitting here in Canada and wondering about vehicles we rarely or never see here...Cromwell's, Comets, Churchills etc. Are there still projects like that around the UK or has it become like Sherman's in North America where almost everything is spoken for, beyond repair (and that seems to be a constantly changing definition) or priced into the stratosphere? Was looking for some words of wisdom from the tracked types in the UK and in the know.

Regards

John

there are plenty of projects out there still in uk or nearby, infact i'm trying to get a friend to buy one as we speak (we need more ww2 british armour) as to price £25k should get you started in the right direction. if you want one let me know and I will make some enquiries.

rick

Honestly they all hold a fascination for me, the Sherman is my main focus and I have 4 here now in various states of restoration, but British armor is a whole different ball game... I have always tried to keep the vehicles I own down to a size I can transport myself on my own equipment, that has held pretty good until this year with a Chinese Type 69 joining the stable...but the Cromwell, the Comet, Valentine, Churchill...all very intriguing and after watching many of you on the forum with your projects my interest has piqued...and of course with our economy and dollar on rather aggressive slide...now is the time that makes the least sense, but with some projects heading south in trade for US greenbacks I am looking to investigate the possibility of a British tank...sure would be a unique cornerstone to a collection in Canada

We (The Brits) did ask the Canadians to build us Crusaders which at the time were the latest thing. When they got the drawings they were very unimpressed and the final compromise was the 'Medium Tank M3 (Canadian)' which became the Ram, sometimes designated 'Medium Tank M4 A5'.

David