Mk1 Militant Tanker

By coincidence, I have just been reading an article on these gun mounts in an Australian MV club newsletter. There have been a number of NOS mounts for sale at the Corowa event in last few years, in fact a couple of weeks ago I helped load one on to a trailer while at the event.

Here is a link to the newsletter with article:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxtaWxpdGFyeXNlY3Rpb258Z3g6M2FmYjA2NzM0MmE1ZWIzNQ

Fascinating. There's that stubby-barrelled .50 Browning. I knew there would be someone on the forum who would be able to pin this down. Thanks, Richard.

10 68

By coincidence, I have just been reading an article on these gun mounts in an Australian MV club newsletter. There have been a number of NOS mounts for sale at the Corowa event in last few years, in fact a couple of weeks ago I helped load one on to a trailer while at the event.

Here is a link to the newsletter with article:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxtaWxpdGFyeXNlY3Rpb258Z3g6M2FmYjA2NzM0MmE1ZWIzNQ

If anyone is genuinely interested in one of these, there are heaps for sale in Australia, as they were made in fairly substantial numbers for the Mk 1 ACCO, but were never issued and were sold off as a big batch several years ago, NOS. Just about every decent event has one or two for sale. Given the current exchange rate, they should be pretty cheap delivered to the UK. I have, however, never seen a set of the rods, you'd have to manufacture something.

We have one at the museum to install on our Mk 1 ACCO prototype, if we ever finish restoring it (it has been moved from storage, into the workshop and back into storage several times over the years).

Cheers,

Terry

• 1 month later...

At the last posting, I left you in this position

157 Temporary Home on Patio.jpg

Tanker cab roof wrapped up and parked just outside the good wife's kitchen window.

Been waiting for the better weather to make a start. Sun was shining yesterday, and having fixed the timber tractor windscreen, we can move on

20160507_172728.jpg

Roof doesn't weigh too much but I need to be able to get round it for repairs/repainting.

Simple solution, build a frame to stand it on. Must have wheels to move it round, and must be able to turn it over

20160508_164607.jpg

20160508_125132.jpg

Looks like this

And works like this

20160508_171934.jpg

Successful day, Roof can now be positioned to wherever is easiest for it's repair. I've moved it to a new home, round the back of the garage, where it can stay and wait it's turn in the restoration queue, herself is happy she doesn't have to look at it out of the kitchen window.

And best of all, patio is clear ready for the Bar-B-Cue season, everyone wins :D

Edited by Zero-Five-Two

Cracked on with the rest of the ceiling panels over the weekend. Mostly just surface rust and peeling paint. One or two bits of more serious corrosion to sort out in a couple of places

166 Ceiling Corner Panel Repair 1.jpg

Chop out nasty bit, cut in new piece

167 Ceiling Corner Panel Repair 2.jpg

Bit of dodgy welding, :whistle: Then grind off, smear of filler and coat of paint

168 Ceiling Corner Panel Repair 3.jpg

You can't see the join :D!

170 Ceiling Centre Panel Repair 2.jpg

Needed a bigger patch with this one

171 Ceiling Centre Panel Repair 3.jpg

Despite best effort, a bit of heat distortion crept in here, and you can see the join. It's only a bit and I don't think it will notice once fitted.

173 DBG Painting Roof Panels.jpg

Paint shop in full swing for the finished panels. Have to say the Deep Bronze stuff is quite a nice colour, it sort of grows on you

175 Before and after Ceiling Panels.jpg

Do like a before and after picture, 5 bits painted and 1 to do

172 Ceiling Centre Panel The Other half.jpg

Top edge of this one needs a bit more effort, even under the remaining green there are bits that are so thin you can poke your finger through it. But it will have to wait, next two weekends we are out with the timber tractor

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Couple of photos of the finished dashboard

177 Finished Dashboard.jpg

and one of the dash lamp bulbs.

Army Issue Bulb.jpg

There was a question about this size of bulb on another thread a couple of months back, someone asking where to get them.

If you look carefully at this one you can see the Army issue crowsfoot stamped on the side, and the remains of the NATO Stock Number. All three bulbs from this dash are original issued ones

• 3 weeks later...

In between playing out with the other woman (Timber Tractor) Have managed a fair bit of progress with the cab repairs to the tanker.

Starting with annoying the neighbours a couple of weekends ago. Nothing like a couple of hours with the angle grinder to disturb the peace

180 Neighbour Annoyance.jpg

But you have to clean the rust off somehow

181 Widow Twankies Paintshop.jpg

Cab "Parcel Racks" and Window frames receiving their first coat of Zinc Oxide

187Widow Twankies Part 2.jpg

Garage looking like widow Twankies again as primer coat goes on.

No Shows or anything for the Timber Tractor this weekend so Let rip on the cab roof repair.

The battle of Man versus The Tin Worm begins in earnest

182 Cupola Repair 1.jpg

Rotiserie earning its keep too, (quietly pleased with that idea). First job, drill out rivets holding cupola on. I've been scanning the 'Net for the right size steel rivets for weeks, ready for putting it back together, only to find out that they are, in fact, aluminium, which are readily available.

183 Cupola Repair 2.jpg

Looks like the Tin Worm has the early lead here, as there wasn't a lot holding it all together.

20160611_163941.jpg

Bit of poking about and most of it ended up on the lawn

No more than I expected really, the holes in the roof were a bit obvious.

Unfortunately there isn't a drawing of the cupola area in the parts book, so given how much has rusted away, I wasn't sure what I would be able to work out from the remaining bits. But I think I've got it.

Cupola itself is made up of 3 pieces, a centre or main piece, circular securing ring, and the 4 legs for the anti aircraft weapon mountings.

185 Cupola Repair 4.jpg

As you can see most of the circular piece got left on the lawn

186 Cupola Repair 5.jpg

These bits should be a sort of star shape, corresponding with each leg of the anti aircraft bits

188 Cupola Side Arms.jpg

These are the 4 A.A. Mountings. I didn't realise until In started to cut them off, they were different heights, and therefore the cupola can only fit one way round on the roof. Not a problem, loads of photos and measurements taken (not that they'll mean anything to me, later) so hopefully I will get it back together the right way round, eventually!!

189 Cupola Cleaned Off.jpg

Centre of cupola cleaned off, but there is a good few rust holes that will need plating before we go much further.

190 Cupola Padding.jpg

Padding from inside cupola doesn't look too bad, but foam inserts don't sound too good, they rattle when you shake them

191 Foam Padding.jpg

And here's why! Foam has long since rotted away!! Anyway canvas outer doesn't look too bad, and might be saveable. Tried washing it in some of the wife's dhobie dust. One piece cleaned up well, second piece was covered in too much paint, and the third piece just disintegrated into the water it was that rotten. Still, at least it doesn't smell anymore and it will provide a pattern to make a new set.

Next weekend, we are away at the In Laws in Yorkshire, so photos of Simon Daymonds new Militant will be provided for the Mk1 Gallery. Long Melford Show with the Timber Tractor follows that, so big gap in tanker work til mid July see you then!!!

• 3 weeks later...

As usual, nothing goes to plan, should have been at the Long Melford show this weekend, but it was cancelled at the last minute due to the site being waterlogged by the recent rain. Absolutely gutted really, been to this gathering for the last 3 years and had a fab time each year.

Still must think positive, not out with the timber tractor means more tanker time. That said it has been a bit wet round here lately too, but fortunately work in the shed can carry on.

Had a bit of a result a couple of weeks ago. Need some steel sheet for cab roof repairs, so looking on Fleebay saw a job lot of slightly damaged 8 x 4 sheets on auction. Having won the auction I went to collect the sheets to find out there was twice as many as had been advertised and the damage was only on the top half dozen. So I am a bit flush for 0.9mm and 1.2 mm thick galvanised sheet just now.

This is just as well because when I get going with a tape measure and some cutting discs there is always carnage.

193 First Leg.jpg

Got to make 4 of these

192 Practice Pieces.jpg

Which involved a lot of these

194 Two Legs.jpg

Eventually 1 became 2 as I slowly got the hang of which side to fold first, and how to get the angles right. All 4 legs are different heights. The scrap pile of practice bits was beginning to overtake the place at one point

195 Measuring up.jpg

Trying to use the corroded bits to get measurements and shape of the new.

196 First Drawing.jpg

Gave up in the end and just drew a new one. The practice scribble is on the other side

197 Lining up Parts.jpg

Lay out all the bits for a dress rehearsal before going anywhere near a welder

198 Welding Up.jpg

Then finally take a brave pill and start sticking it all together

199 Finished Piece.jpg

Well pleased with the result. Quite sturdy, looks straight, needs a smear of filler here and there to make it really tidy, but in the main ready for a test fit back onto the rest of the cab.

All in all a good weekends work. Neighbours not too offended with the grinding and cutting, well no ones been round to complain, so I take that as a good sign. One evening this in the week I'll try it on the cab. Watch this space

Had five minutes or so to spare after work today so unwrapped the rest of the roof to have a test fit of the new cupola

201 Cupola Test Fit 1.jpg

The repair work has widened the actual cupola bit by a couple of millimetres, so it wont quite fit into the original hole

202 Cupola Test Fit 2.jpg

But it is near enough to be happy with the progress, so far

204 Rotten Roof Section.jpg

As it goes, there isn't much of the original hole left. Next on the fabrication list new hole

203 Full Width Sun Roof.jpg

On the other hand I could always go for the full width sun roof :D!!

:-)

Did you keep the measurements for the out-tiggers and baseplate? Only mine are missing altogether.... :-)

Err, well sort of. There is bits of scribble on various bits of notepad all over the place. I'll make a proper effort to round them all up and copy them into some semblance of order for you. The individual bits are fairly simple to measure out, it only gets complicated when you try to fold edges.

Err, well sort of. There is bits of scribble on various bits of notepad all over the place. I'll make a proper effort to round them all up and copy them into some semblance of order for you. The individual bits are fairly simple to measure out, it only gets complicated when you try to fold edges.

Thanks Rob. Will have to funnel that out to a sheet metal fabricators as have no facilities what so ever for that type of thing.

On the plus side - the ring itself just has surface rust on it and a quick media blast should clean it up for welding and painting. Will need to replace the foam in one of the hip pads and restitch the cover, thats all there apart from a good scrub :-)

RIPPED OFF ?? Not this time!!

The good guys in this story are Colour N Chrome Powder Coating Services of Sheerness Kent. Speak to Paul Dutton on 01795 872425

Needed to do something with the knackered steering wheel

81 Steering Wheel.jpg

Every time I go near it, a bit more falls off. Not only that it is the wrong type for the age of the tanker, I guess it was replaced by some REME unit at a point in its career.

After a bit of research I found out that several varieties of AEC bus used the same pattern wheel. Being in the bus trade I asked about and was offered a wheel, allegedly in excellent condition, for £450. Needless to say I turned the offer down.

178 Left Hook Militant-001.jpg

At the AEC Rally in Newark May Bank Holiday weekend, picked up this little number for £35. Right pattern, but well worn.

Step in the guys at Colour N Chrome. Shot blasted and cleaned up then a thick layer of black powder coat, for nothing more than £60. Got this finished item back today

208 Refurbished Steerinjg Wheel.jpg

Lovely finish will do nicely and didn't cost anywhere near £450. It pays to be patient, the right bit will turn up eventually

I recognise that style of wheel, and used to have the arm muscles to go with it! (many hours of driving RFs/RTs around country bus routes on weekends in the late 1990s).

Yes, it was an RF wheel I was offered. Was told they were very rare, wouldn't find one anywhere, etc, etc. Hmmmm, Bus spotters, what else can I say :-D

Yes, it was an RF wheel I was offered. Was told they were very rare, wouldn't find one anywhere, etc, etc. Hmmmm, Bus spotters, what else can I say :-D

Try sharing storage with a tracked MV when the rest are all bus owners....... Not something I would ever do again with any military vehicle

Thought it was about time for an update with the cab top repairs, so here goes bit of blurb and a few photos.

First off, it occurred to me earlier on, while reading other threads, that much of the restoration work we do doesn’t actually cost a great deal, only time and effort.

Take these gutter rails, they need the old paint cleaning off, a bit of a polish up and then they are ready for a repaint and refitting.

209 Gutter Rails 1.jpg

Total cost. A couple of sanding discs and a couple of hour’s effort after work one evening, last week.

210 Gutter Rails 2.jpg

Much the same really with the rest of the roof. Lot of effort sanding and scraping, bit of filler and paint. Sounds easy, except that it makes your arms and back ache. It removes the skin from your finger ends, and grinds what little finger nails you did have down to nothing. But we carry on…

206 Measuring Up Once.jpg

New roof panel being measured up. I usually have to have a couple of goes at measuring anything to get it right, so dry run of fitting new panel before cutting out cupola hole.

Pleased to say cupola fitted in nicely, without too much drama. Sealed the joints with tiger seal and riveted in. I had planned to use the original type snap rivets, but in the end settled for modern pop rivets, as I couldn’t get the right size. Also bearing in mind I am doing this work in my back garden, the noise of an air hammer knocking in rivets is probably not good for relations with the neighbours.

215 Rotisserie at Work.jpg

The rotisserie has been earning its keep, best way to paint the ceiling, turn the roof upside down. Easy!

216 Ceiling Painting.jpg

With the inside drying, attention turns to the outside. Starting with the top front, there were several patches of quite ingrained rust that needed scrubbing off, and a couple of small holes to fill.

214 Roof Repair 4.jpg

Soon sorted and a generous coating of red oxide to finish off.

217 Back Panel.jpg

The rear half is a different kettle of fish entirely. Fortunately the window apertures etc. at the back are one complete panel, so that will be next up for removal and a new piece in. The back of the roof itself will need a good deal of attention, but we’ll cross that bridge when we get there.

218 Desert Paint.jpg

Found an interesting point with the paint removal. Under the top few coats of IRR Matt Green, there is a layer of sand yellow. Nothing is mentioned in its service record about serving in that sort of climate. She is far too old for the Gulf conflicts, so would have to have been an earlier do. Would that have been Aden orEgypt?