Another family member.

Spood

At the moment I am more than a little bit excited :banana: the reason being da da da da da da da I am about to become the owner of my very own lightweight landy :clap:.

I've fancied one for a while now and a mate of mine aske me if I wanted his, I said "I'llhavetothinkaboutityes", just have to dot the i's and cross the t's now.

It's a sIII, not certain which year, it's got overdrive and a fairly low mileage 2.25 motor, as far as I know the chassis is pretty well ok as well as the bulkhead and other "delicate places". It also comes with a prety good Sankey trailer.

The downside is that it will need a complete repaint as it is a vile shade of gloss green and has cartoon characters painted on the doors and it needs a new alternator, it also has oversize alloy wheels on it but these could claw me back some cash on ebay. The original wheels are on brand new rubber. The trailer will be painted to match.

I will take delivery sometime in the next couple of weeks and will post some piccy's as soon as I have some.

One very happy (until I'm writing the cheque :cry:) Spood

Don

Nice One, Don.

Hope you enjoy the experience, of owning, and feeding :whistle: your 'green machine.............. :-D

Any idea's of what your going to 'mark it up as',.(unit wise ?).......in its self, a great experience, and learing curve.

Where abouts are you based ? if local (ish) to eastbourne, know of a few likeminded green machine owners, who do the shows etc.

All the best,

Andy

Always exciting when you get a new member of the family! You have to do a before and after photo though! i used to have a lightweight, very bouncy, especially over speed bumps. There was a time when it went down to a local 4x4 course, I was pulling out an SJ410 which was almost vertical when the gearstick snapped off at the base. Not good news. Fond memories off hammering a screwdriver into the gearchange base just so I could use 1st and 2nd gear to get back to the workshop. Ahhh Landrovers...so versatile, still took me about 1/2 an hour to drive 3 miles back home though!

Sorry Andy I'm in deepest Herefordshire so Eastbourne is like the other side of the world ;-). As for markings I will see if I can find out its history and possibly put the proper markings on, though i'm tempted to go down the marines route seeing as my dad was a RM.

It sounds as if Mrs Spood is going to lay claim to it as she finds the Jeep a bit unwieldy :dunno:.

Dodgy is not the word for him Al :-D, I think he is struggling to justify to himself the expense of owning it and is losing the battle, oh well, his loss is my gain. I was not expecting him to sell it he just asked me out of the blue. :schocked:

Collected new alternator today so hopefully I can go and fit it tomorrow afternoon and she will be parked on my patch by tomorrow evening. Apparently when my mate bought it he had a booklet with the vehicle history in it as researched by a previous owner so that should be interesting.

Possibly getting a little too exited now :banana: :nut:

Don

Yes Al It arrived at @ 7.00pm on Tuesday evening after I had spent some amount of time in a very leaky shed in a thunderstorm, or is that several storms, or even tropical monsoons, fitting a new alternator and a couple of other jobs getting it ready for the (short) journey home. It is now sitting at the top of the patch waiting for me to get out and do something to it.

So if this works I present 23 HF 07 to the audience.

No Al I haven't got the history yet as Julian has to dig out the stuff, as for War Wheels I don't know, I may not have the time to get it finished by then we shall see. Depending on circumstances she may turn up as is so to speak.

Here is the childrens version.

Just back from Kemble. The shiny wheels that are on it will be going on ebay soon along with a set of part warn tyres for them, the other wheels in the trailer are the proper wheels for her.

I would like to go and play with it now but the weather isn't on my side and Mrs Spood has found me a few jobs to do before work later. :-(

Hey Spood,

It brings back fond memories of a Lightweight I used to own, a great practical and FUN car, top off, Screen down, Off we go!

I think it is a bonus to have civvy paint on, think how much better it will look when you have painted it back to army spec.

What colour scheme are you going for?

What colour scheme are you going for?

Probably be very boring and go for the green and black, it just appeals to me. A friend of mine has just got his on the road and it looks ace, a load of us had a bit of a get together today at a small village show a mile from the SAS camp at Hereford and I saw it there.

There were a couple of vehicles from the camp there too, a Leyland drops wagon and a Land Rover strike vehicle, most impressed.

Having done a few little jobs to the beast (fix no plate light, w/screen washers, and replace tail pipe) she is off for her MOT tomorrow afternoon. She's only done a few hundred miles since last year so I now have fingers and toes crossed that all will be ok. A look around has revealed nothing untoward as I can see so here's hoping. :|

Just got back ................................................. :-D :-D :-D :-D :banana: :banana: :banana: :yay: :yay: :yay: :dancinggirls: :dancinggirls: :clap: :clap: :clap: :nut: :nut: :nut:

Oh ..... did I mention it passed.

Firs time I have used that tester and lo and behold a Land Rover officianado, I didn't think it was in too bad condition but he assures me and I quote, "She's in bl**dy good nick". So off to town tomorrow to stock up on rubbing down materials.

Anyone recommend a good paint supplier?

NATO green and black all round Smithers :-D

Was looking forward to some quality MV time today but am sat at computer feeling sorry for myself, I've only gone and caught a stinking cold :argh: in the middle of July. Never mind I shall have to sit at the computer and search out the bits and bobs I need to get her up to scratch.

The saga continues, another question, though it is very quiet and echoey around these parts lately :dunno:

Have found the brackets that hold the spade etc to fit the tailgate of the lightweight. There is an angled one that the pick head goes in that I'm thinking goes on the rhs yes/no?

Then there are four four others, three of them stand about an inch or so from the surface and the other is a bit higher, in what order do these go? The holes are still in the tailgate its just the relative position of the odd tall bracket I need to know.

I've got a few photos of rear ends (ooer vicar :-o ) but nothing I can make out enough detail on. Any help much appreciated.