WW2 US bonnet numbers/Prestone markings

G506

Being new to WW2 US stuff, can someone shed any light on hood numbers please? Ive heard there was a pattern, in particular the first digit of the number, GMC s and Chev 1 1/2 tonners starting with '4'. Ive started trying to recover the remains of Oddball the Chevy's hood number, but that looks like it starts with '1', ie USA 1 *****, so now Im a bit puzzled.

In fairness it doesnt take much to puzzle me :tongue:

Also, its 'Prestone' anti freeze marking is pretty clear, but does the two digit number indicate the date the anti freeze was checked, or the date it needed checking next?

:-D

G506

Your Chev bonnet no. should start with a 3, the numbers starting 1 were for passenger cars(sedans) with between 2 and 7 seats. As far as I remember the two digit no. indicated the year antifreeze was added ie Prestone 44 would mean antifreeze put in rad in 1944, Prestone being a brand name.

Hope this helps, if you need it I can post a full list of all the type designation prefix numbers.

Your Chev bonnet no. should start with a 3, the numbers starting 1 were for passenger cars(sedans) with between 2 and 7 seats.

I think I need to look again at that number, the problem is that as with the rest of the truck, rust had taken a hold badly on the bonnet (the centre of the bonnet is missing!), and the middle part of the number is very unclear, but it sounds like it shouldnt be a '1'.

if you need it I can post a full list of all the type designation prefix numbers.

:-D :-D :-D :-D Yes please

Type designation prefixes as follows-

0 Trailers and semi-trailers,all sizes, except kitchen trailers.

00 Trucks, maintenance,all sizes (light repair,small arms repair, also wreckers).

1 Cars,passenger, 2-7 passenger (sedan).

10 Trailers, kitchen,motor drawn 1.5ton.

2Trucks, light. 1/2 to 1ton (pickup, panel etc.).

20 Trucks, reconnaissance, all sizes (inc, carryall etc.) and buses.

3 Trucks, medium 1.5ton (cargo, dump,truck-tractor).

30 Tanks, all sizes and certain tank based special vehicles.

4 Trucks, light-heavy, 2.5ton and heavy-heavy up to 4-5ton incl.

40 Vehicles,full and half-track (cargo carrying, wire layingand combat except tanks).

5 Trucks, heavy-heavyand prime movers, 5ton and over, all types.

50 Trucks, fire (fire and crash), all sizes.

6 Motorcycles (solo, w/sidecar and motor tricycles).

60 Vehicles, special and technical (radio, office, generator,air compressor,searchlight, sterilising, water purificationand similar) and armoured cars.

7 Ambulances, field and metropolitan, all sizes.

70 Amphibious vehicles.

8 Tractors, wheeled, (light, medium and heavy).

80 Trucks, tank, sprinkler and refuellers, all sizes.

9 Tractors, half and full-track (light, medium and heavy).

Degsy,

you're a star, thank you! :-D

I need to have another look at that bonnet now, and try to spot a '3' at the start, maybe I'll be lucky

thanks again

G506

Degsy,

you're a star, thank you! :-D

I need to have another look at that bonnet now, and try to spot a '3' at the start, maybe I'll be lucky

thanks again

G506

No, I can claim no credit at all, merely quoting Vanderveen. Good luck with finding the number.

Regards

Degsy

• 2 months later...

Degsy,

an update on Oddball's hood number, I'm 95% certain there is a '3' in front of the digits I'd found, so I now have - 'USA 310***', unfortunately all I have to go on is slightly different shades of rust, but I will keep trying!

Thanks

G506

Hi Degsy,

its looking reasonably promising, theres no paint on the hood at all, the rust is slightly darker where there was once painted numbers. A friend has a very good quality camera which he used to photograph the numbers, and will try to play around with images on the computer. It would be fantastic to be able to paint her original numbers back onto her!

Cheers

G506

Just thinking a bit more about your vehicle, have you looked at the front bumper and the rear of the chassi to see if you can find any unit markings?

Hi Degsy,

good suggestions, but unfortunately the front bumper and entire chassis are in a similar state to the hood, ie not one square inch of paint left, just surface rust. The rear bumperettes were removed long ago, so no joy on them either (although I have replacements, ready for blasting). The only single easily read marking on the whole truck is the Prestone legend on the hood, which interestingly is stencilled using a very ornate script!

Ive seen that style of lettering before, but I cant recall whether it was an original vehicle photo or on a restored vehicle. When I get home I'll take a photo and put it up