CVR(T) models and minis

teletech

There is a lot of information out int the model forums and some in the game forums but those groups don't seem to overlap as much as I would have thought and besides, some of the MV folks want minis too...

I've come up with miniatures or models for every MV I've owned over the years, so it seemed natural to buy a couple little miniatures while my mini-tanks were in transit. I thought it might be useful to folks to do a little comparison.

1) 1/72 scale FV101 from ACE (CAT.#72417)

I like the metal tracks and the overall level of detail isn't bad but the parts wanted a lot of cleanup and even at that there were issues with mold filling and alignment, this was a particular annoyance dealing with the wheels. I hear it's nowhere near as nice as any of the larger kits but it's the best model I've seen in the under 3" long class.

DSC_1081.jpg

2) From TSS, a QRF MBRV01 FV107 Scimitar, the scale isn't specified but something like 1:100.

It's not a kit you have to build, just attach the sides and drop on the turret, so that's handy if you want a little something to put on your desk but the detail and mold filling are nowhere as good as either of the other replicas I've got on my desk just now and the lack of sharp detail will only get worse with paint unless you put a lot of effort in. It also seems like the profile is too low.

DSC_1076.jpg

3) GHQ Modern Micro Armor 1:285 Scale

When they say "Super Detailed" believe it! Overall I'd say the level of detail isn't far behind the 10x heavier product from QRF and the sharp lines of the slightly disproportionate details make it easy to paint and actually look better with minimal effort. But they are tiny, if these guys made a larger model I'd have it shipping to me pretty well immediately. As is, they are cheap and small enough I can have some around to they park nicely on most common game boards.

DSC_1073.jpg

Always fancied a model of my mk2 Ferret or alvis Samson, but I've never seen either as a 1/35 or similar model kit

Accurate Armour do both in 1/35. They are generally well regarded but are resin kits, so take a bit of effort to get good results...

The Cast-Off stuff looks great, I was rather hoping for something smaller so I could use it with some of the wargames out there. Of course like you now I'm too busy trying to get mine going to play games or build models.

There are AFV club 1/35 Scimitar and Scorpion kits. There are also loads of add ons and conversions for these, such as the Cast Off Sabre conversion and Scimitar LEP kits. I have a lot of them which I have not built as too busy on the real thing!

http://www.castoff-models.co.uk

• 6 months later...

While I was buying scale minis, I got some of what must be the smallest CVR(T) anybody has bothered to make.

At 7mm long, which works out to something like 256:1 I think. A common scale for wargaming with ships and such I gather.

The detail isn't amazing but they are obviously Scorpions.

P1020617.jpg

P1020618.jpg

P1020613.jpg