Bevel boxes installed in wrong position...how bad is it??

njjeeper

So I just found the brake stop adjuster on the rear left side bevel box. Looks like the PO installed the right front bevel box in the rear left position and the left rear into the right front position. The other 2 look correct as the breathers are on top. Can I just move the breathers, brake adjuster and the rotate the parking brake mounts or do I have to redo those 2 wheel stations and move the boxes?

What direction do the flanges turn, if looking at each bevel box, when the ferret is moving forward? I want to verify 100% that they are in the right positions before I start installing more stuff....everything that was reinstalled on the vehicle has been wrong :(

Interesting. I thought that FR/RL and FL/RR were identical... Are the bits that you're talking about bolt-on to the standard unit?

You should be able to just swap them over, although getting to them could be painful, depending on what state the vehicle is in. For the rear, I'd guess that you would have to remove the engine.

Given that this is the same Ferret that had the reversed steering box, I would exercise some caution and check over everything, as I don't think that too much attention to detail was put in during reassembly.

Cheers,

Terry

So I just found the brake stop adjuster on the rear left side bevel box. Looks like the PO installed the right front bevel box in the rear left position and the left rear into the right front position. The other 2 look correct as the breathers are on top. Can I just move the breathers, brake adjuster and the rotate the parking brake mounts or do I have to redo those 2 wheel stations and move the boxes?

What direction do the flanges turn, if looking at each bevel box, when the ferret is moving forward? I want to verify 100% that they are in the right positions before I start installing more stuff....everything that was reinstalled on the vehicle has been wrong :(

Hi,

Can I assume that when you got this Ferret, it was moved on its wheels, either towed or driven? If not, then jack up both wheels on one side and turn one, my bet is the other one will turn in same direction. If so, then all you have to do is swap over the fixtures and breather that you mentioned.

Of course, if when you jack up one side and turn a wheel and the other turns opposite way, then you have got to swap the boxes around.

cheers Richard

that is true, but saves you to take also the suspension apart. It also means you can do with one spare bevelbox for all four not two.

In the situation you describe Peter, you would still have to take the engine out to access a Dingo rear bevel box.

I got this ferret as a hull with bevel boxes and steering gear installed. Thats it. No hubs, no suspension, no drivetrain, no wiring, etc, so it has never rolled on wheels for me. I now have all the suspension installed, hubs fitted, and steering fixed. I just want to ensure that the bevel boxes are right.

Since there are no driveshafts or trans installed, is there another way to make sure the boxes are in the the correct positions? If I knew what direction the flange on the box is supposed to turn when the road wheel is rotating forward I think I could work it out....

Thanks for the help everyone!!

I got this ferret as a hull with bevel boxes and steering gear installed. Thats it. No hubs, no suspension, no drivetrain, no wiring, etc, so it has never rolled on wheels for me. I now have all the suspension installed, hubs fitted, and steering fixed. I just want to ensure that the bevel boxes are right.

Since there are no driveshafts or trans installed, is there another way to make sure the boxes are in the the correct positions? If I knew what direction the flange on the box is supposed to turn when the road wheel is rotating forward I think I could work it out....

Thanks for the help everyone!!

The drive flanges on one side, both turn the same way, so looking forward past both flanges you will see them turn in same direction, so doing this, both hubs will turn same direction, unless the previous owner really did cock up.

Edited by Richard Farrant

Really? I always understood that the Dingo and Ferret lacked a differential and that all 4 wheels were driven constantly, while the Saracen and Saladin had a differential splitting left and right.

Cheers,

Terry

Terry,

You have been given duff information. The Dingo and later on the Daimler armoured car were the instigators of the H plan of transmission, the Saracen, etc was spawned from these vehicles. You would have great difficulty in turning if there were no diff in the transfer box.

Ok, so the flanges on the left of the hull both turn the same direction, counter clockwise. The flanges on the right side of the hull also turn the same direction but it's clockwise. Does that sound correct?

To explain another way, imagine the two flanges are joined and turn together. The boxes on the other side of the vehicle will be in opposite rotation.

Thanks Richard! If I understand correctly, as long as both boxes on one side rotate the same way, I should be good. They do that so I think I am ok. I just worry that when I select reverse, the vehicle will go forward :)

If that happens, it won't really matter, as all 5 gears work in both directions :P

Terry,

You have been given duff information. The Dingo and later on the Daimler armoured car were the instigators of the H plan of transmission, the Saracen, etc was spawned from these vehicles. You would have great difficulty in turning if there were no diff in the transfer box.

Thanks Richard,

I'll have to read the manuals again, more carefully this time :) I also have to hassle you about ignition on a Mk 3 Dingo at some stage, but I need to gather a bit more info first.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, I hate to bring this back up but I am worried again. I was standing behind the Ferret looking forward as described above and I had someone rotate each wheel. Again, this is how the flanges turn as I look at them from the rear, looking forward. On the right side, when the right rear road wheel is turning forward, the back of the right rear flange is turning counter clockwise. WhenI rotate the front right road wheel forward, the flange turns clockwise but in this case I am staring at the front of it. Honestly, with the way the boxes are constructed and placed with the fill plug facing up, I dont understand how if I look from the back of the vehicle, both flanges would turn the same direction on the same side.

If I sit in the center of the hull, each flange is turning clockwise when I face it. Which makes sense to me because in this example I am looking at the front face of the flange in both cases. But in the case where i am looking at the back of one bevel box for the rears and the front of the bevel box for the fronts, I simply dont see how they could rotate the same way.

Help :)

Hi all, I hate to bring this back up but I am worried again. I was standing behind the Ferret looking forward as described above and I had someone rotate each wheel. Again, this is how the flanges turn as I look at them from the rear, looking forward. On the right side, when the right rear road wheel is turning forward, the back of the right rear flange is turning counter clockwise. WhenI rotate the front right road wheel forward, the flange turns clockwise but in this case I am staring at the front of it. Honestly, with the way the boxes are constructed and placed with the fill plug facing up, I dont understand how if I look from the back of the vehicle, both flanges would turn the same direction on the same side.

If I sit in the center of the hull, each flange is turning clockwise when I face it. Which makes sense to me because in this example I am looking at the front face of the flange in both cases. But in the case where i am looking at the back of one bevel box for the rears and the front of the bevel box for the fronts, I simply dont see how they could rotate the same way.

Help :)

I did not think it could have been explained any easier in my post earlier (#14). When the transfer box is fitted and props bolted to flanges, the shafts are turning in the same direction, this is why I said, imagine the two props are bolted together. You are confusing your self by looking at the face of each bevel box as they turn. Sit in there and get someone to turn both wheels on one side, look in one direction only and see that they both turn together, as I say, imagine them joined.

Your post was clear but doesnt describe what I am seeing so I am trying to figure out how to apply your advice in a way that makes sense un this situation.

If I imagine them joined by a solid shaft on one side then they are not correct. Looking from the back of the ferret, the rear right turns counter clockwise and the front turns clockwise.

So if we assume that its wrong, how the heck can it be fixed? Each box can only be positioned in the hull in such a way that the breather is facing up. Even if I move the boxes around I can only move them to the opposite corner from where it is now. Doing that doesnt change the rotation. They simply wont orient with the fill plug up in any other spots.

How can I fix this?? Can the box be rebuilt wrong so the gears are on the wrong sides in the bevel box?

As another interesting point, i decided to see what the gear box does when in gear while turning the input shaft. When I turn the input shaft, the output flanges on one side turn opposite directions. This is the same way the bevel boxes are turning in the ferret but the opposite of what is being described in this thread.

Not completely au fait with the set up but if you jack up one side all wheels and turn one wheel do they all go same way yes then every thing ok. if you jack up all wheels up and put transmission in gear and turn a wheel and all wheels go the same way and all wheels on opposite side go the other then every thing ok. After that if you have not got 2 oks I am bollaxed I genuinely believe you are confusing your self by looking to deep.

As another interesting point, i decided to see what the gear box does when in gear while turning the input shaft. When I turn the input shaft, the output flanges on one side turn opposite directions. This is the same way the bevel boxes are turning in the ferret but the opposite of what is being described in this thread.

If you turn the output flange on one side of the transfer box, the other flange adjacent will turn same way, has to, its on the same shaft. I have been trying to get this over to you. This is why I am saying, imagine the bevel box flanges were joined together, then wheels turn same way. You said at the beginning that you thought two boxes had been transposed by previous owner, it does not take much thinking about to verify this. If wheels do not turn same way, then the bevel box which is suspect will be that one with plugs in wrong place I would think. If you have not got it, I suggest you read the EMER Technical Description for the Ferret and you will see it all explained.

So I figured the only way to show this was video. Richard, unless we are talking totally different languages, I think the videos below show the exact opposite of your statement above.

This video shows me turning the lower flange and the adjacent one rotates opposite.

This video shows both flanges turning opposite from each other when I turn the input shaft of the gearbox.

As you all know these trucks much better than me, perhaps the miscommunication is how we are describing things?

So I figured the only way to show this was video. Richard, unless we are talking totally different languages, I think the videos below show the exact opposite of your statement above.

This video shows me turning the lower flange and the adjacent one rotates opposite.

This video shows both flanges turning opposite from each other when I turn the input shaft of the gearbox.

As you all know these trucks much better than me, perhaps the miscommunication is how we are describing things?

njjeeper,

Sorry I do not know your name, my apologies for leading you astray, I have been working on Daimler Dingo and Armoured Car transfer boxes recently and as they turned the same direction, my immediate thought was that Ferrets do, but now you have pointed this out I remember that there is a bevel drive in the transfer box output that means the transfer box flanges turn in opposite directions. That still does not explain fully if your bevel boxes are in wrong locations.

I see now that I missed your last but one post about transfer box, my excuse, late at night and doing too many things at once!!

best regards,

Richard

Edited by Richard Farrant
added sentence