Gmc cckw

RoddyLaxdale

Question

Hello to all. Can anyone tell me the total lengh, width and hight of the GMC CCKW 352 short wheel base . Standard troop carrier with no winch or gun turret also same for the long wheel base 353. Im told they are very heavy on fuel with 6 or 7 MPG true or false ?? Dont suppose anyone in the far North of Scotland has one I could see to measure and drool over :-D Thanks Roddy

12 answers to this question

Thanks for the info. I'll be at my garage tomorrow to measure up. Forgot to ask what's best type of axles as I read that there are 2 types and one is better than the other . Also any info on what to look out for would be appreciated. I'm only interested in the early hard cab with no turret or winch.

Axles? Depends who you ask. :cool2: Without taking sides, some thoughts below:

Banjo generally regarded by postwar civvy abusers as being the stronger, but Split have a reputation for being quieter (not sure why as a well set up crownwheel and pinion in either should be quiet, and will you really notice over the whine of gearbox and transfer case? :-D).

Are you going to break a good axle in preservation use mode? In all probability no. Might you break a previously worn / damaged / badly set-up axle (of either type)? Possibly. Keeping wheel bearings properly adjusted will help to avoid axle shaft failures.

Availability of parts for both types - Banjo seems to win on ease of finding parts. Also transfer case / torque rods are specific to axle type.

Thanks for all the info. What a friendly helpful bunch . As my garage door is 7'6" then I should be ok with no rear cover or hoops , thanks for that Degby . David I'm going to be in Inverness on Friday 6th November and most of Saturday so if it's ok with you I would love to see the cckw close up , not just one but two !! I would really appreciate that as it will tell me all I need to know

Might I suggest that you have a look at the GMC CCKW Forum, it is American based but has quite a number of UK members.

Although there is lots of CCKW expertise on HMVF the top 'gurus' reside on there. It is free to join and I am sure you will be welcome there. By all means ask any questions you like on here, I'm sure one of us will be able to answer most queries.

Welcome to a potential CCKW owner.

The Banjo axled trucks do have a better spares backup as already said, they were used for the base of the DUKW's. It is worth mentioning that the two types of trucks ie a split axle and banjo axle are completely different from the main gearbox backwards including the chassis the only main common parts are the engines and main gearboxes from there on they are specific to the type of axle fitted also if you are up in the north of the country you might want a closed cab as these are much warmer but also not as wide about a foot narrower than an open cab.

A well set up truck with a good engine should give you about 10mpg depending how you drive it.

Tyres are about the only other big expense generally over £150 each.

Good luck

Thanks again for all the info. If I do get one it'll be a closed cab as I prefer the look . Also like the look of the Dodge ambulance and this would be a more useable vehicle . Don't think I'll be getting a Jeep due to high prices even for a resto project. Lots of interesting vehicles out there so good chance I'll get something