Removal of self-tapping rivets?

andym

I need to remove this brass plate from the Abbot loader's guard as the guard is rusting behind it and needs to be blasted and painted:

IMG_6857aw.jpg

My initial intention was just to drill out the rivets from the back, but they aren't normal rivets. They appear to be those self-tapping things and are incredibly hard, nothing I've tried will touch them. This is the rear view:

IMG_6876aw.jpg

The only thing I can think of is to find some sort of thin-walled counterbore tool with a hole in the centre so I can remove the metal from round the rivets but I'd appreciate any other suggestions!

Andy

They will be taper spline type, think dentistry. Small pencil die-grinder , mine does abt. 80,0000 rpm free , burr & stone - you may need a selection to try to get under the skin. Aim to remove the core & leave splines , 20/20 vision helps , work from front & rear..

You could grind a slot for screwdriver , try and wind out but you would need to be lucky if not slow helix type.

Alternative :-

Place a washer over the head , secure with - whatever.

This protects the plate then cut the head off with a small Dremel or die-grinder cutter.

Lever the plate carefully off and grind flush remains of pin.

Re-secure to one side with original pins insitu but ground flush , you can hide the odd one.

You could make a accurate drill jig from gauge plate , drill out original pins with a spot-weld type quality stub dril or TiN coated type..

Edited by ruxy
spelin

Thanks all - some good ideas and very quick response too! I think I'll try knocking them back out (I'd considered that) and if not, time to invest in a Dremel!

Andy

Andy

Once you have knocked them back a little way, a good pair of pliers gripping the head and a slight twist and they usually come out.

Never (yet) had need to remove them - where there has been access from the rear. Then - you don't know the exact type you are up against, pitch /start , some of the fine thread pin type have barbs for grip where security is the intention. You will not wind out a very fine spline type with a long start into steel or cast iron.

• 1 month later...

I thought I'd follow this up as I hate threads that just finish in mid-air.

I tried knocking the drive screws out from behind but they weren't interested so I carefully took the heads off with a Dremel, luckily with minimal damage to the plate. Now that I had a stub sticking out there wasn't enough to grip but I could knock them back and forth enough to loosen them off and eventually drive them out completely.

IMG_6957aw.jpg

IMG_6960aw.jpg

IMG_6962aw.jpg

Once again thanks to all for the helpful suggestions.

Andy